OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Smoker Chips ?

Started by redarrow, July 28, 2013, 09:41:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redarrow

Cut down 2 apple trees yesterday and hope to chip them up today. I was planning on using the green limbs for smoker chips. If you make your own I got a couple questions for you. Can I chip up the leaves too ? Do I need to dry the chips ? How should I store them ?Can I use the dead dried up pieces too ? Thanks.

lightsoutcalls

I wouldn't use the leaves... just me.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the dry or dead wood.  In fact, I would use it with maybe a bit of green until the green wood can dry out a bit.  Some folks don't like to use wood with the bark on, others use it however they get it.  I have a lot of pecan, maple, oak and cherry from making calls and strikers.  I just use offcuts from my woods, which have air dried in board form for 2-4 years. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

barry

Yeah...no leaves. We use a combo of Apple & Hickory wood.
Here's some good info on woods used to smoke with...

http://bbq.about.com/cs/cookingtips/a/aa051097_2.htm

redarrow

Thanks guys. Great site Barry. :icon_thumright:

pappy

I just cut up a pile of 2"X 2" for my inlaws he soaks his in water over night ... green is great bark...eh...I don't know?
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

stone road turkey calls

Quote from: Creekrocket on July 28, 2013, 11:56:24 PM
Get Rid Of The Bark. It'll Leave A Bitter Taste. Apple Wood Is What I Use The Most. Dry Or Green, You Can Use Both. Definitely No Leaves.

x 2  :icon_thumright:
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Stoner

I just smoked a beef brisket over the weekend and used Apple Wood. It was dried and I used chunks of wood and not chipped. The bark was still on many pieces of the wood. Apple is a milder wood but is good to smoke with. I really like a stronger taste of smoke so I like using Hickory and Oak. I would not use it green; I would cut it into 2-4 inch chunks. I use a medal juice can and make a 180 degrees cut in the top and put my wood in the can and push the medal top of the can back to close of the hole. Put the can on your heat source, the closed can will not allow enough oxygen inside the can to allow the wood to catch fire and it will smolder and give off a good smoke for cooking. I cheat a little I use propane for my heat source.

Turkey Trot

Chunks are mo betta than chips.

I cannot tell a problem with bark on pecan, apple and other fruit wood.

I can tell with hickory, however, and would remove the bark.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter