OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Qualifications for a good bird.

Started by Crutch, March 09, 2011, 11:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sugarray

This year a good bird to me is one that gobbles every 2 steps and struts in to 20 yds, dances around my hen decoy, sticks his neck up for 10 seconds and my son puts the boom on him.  It will be his choice if he is a jake or not, we will decide before we go.  Otherwise, any full fan bird for me

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: Flydown on March 09, 2011, 11:02:58 PM
A good bird to me is a dead bird with a full fan. I have killed a lot of good birds and I have killed better birds but I have never killed a bad bird.

I don't know how you could say it any better than that!!!!  I am happy with a two year old any day of the week!!!  Older birds are just a bonus! :z-winnersmiley:
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

BigGobbler

A Bad Gobbler to me would be that one that tormented and teased you all season and never had a shot.
A good Gobbler would be a hunt that you will always remember when you see him on the wall in the mancave.

jwhunter

if its has a beard. if it gobbles and strutts and makes my heart beat real fast! im going to roll him out!

camp man

A good bird to me is a dead bird with a full fan. I have killed a lot of good birds and I have killed better birds but I have never killed a bad bird.
I agree. I don't agree at all with body weight playing a factor in making it a good bird. A heavy bird in the Fl. panhandle will weigh 20 lbs.

Gobble!

were i hunt if it scores over 65 i consider it a good bird
over 80 and its a full mounter

stinkpickle

Quote from:  link=topic=3816.msg45808#msg45808 date=1299753802
Turkey hunting isn't about the beard or spurs.  It's about turkey hunting.  Any bird that gives you the rush is a good bird.

This.

Reloader

Anything with a full fan is a good bird.  I don't knock a fella for killing a jake either, they fry up nice.

Taking a kid Saturday and Sunday, I really don't care what he shoots as long as it aint a hen.

I had a whole flock of toms come up on me in Texas once and I couldn't see their beards due to the tall grass.  I was only about 30yds from the property line and they were about 10yds on my side.  I waited and waited looking for a beard and they finally got spooky and started walking away twds the private property.  I finally saw a beard about 7" long on one and had a clear shot, so let him have it.  The others took off across a field on the private land and all had ropes hanging down.  I thought dang, I must have shot lil' brother, oh well, at least I got one.  Then I walk over and see the little 7" beard, flip him over and he had 1-3/8" hooks :)  I was pretty proud of ole lil' brother on the way back to the truck :D 

Reloader

RutnNStrutn

I will shoot any full fan gobbler with an obvious beard that I see. However, to stick with what I believe is the true intent of the question, what makes a bird that I think is above your average 2 year old?
To answer that, to me, a good bird weighs 19 lb's or more (I mostly hunt down south), has at least a 10" beard, and has 1-1/8" spurs or better (most of my birds have been Osceolas, and they grow longer spurs faster). To me that's a good bird. Not exceptional, but not average either. Good bird for the areas I normally hunt.

Singlebarrel

Full fan with a visible beard = a ride to town   :icon_thumright:

savduck

One 20 yards in front of me with a broken pellet filled neck flopping on the ground = quality bird in my book
Georgia Boy

SinGin

Turkeys are like sex, they are all good, just some are a little better than others.

Dan Mallia

Quote from: mudhen on March 10, 2011, 12:09:26 AM

X 2  :)

mudhen

X 3  :groupwave:

I hunt heavily hunted public land and sometimes a nice jake is worth all the effore.  :z-guntootsmiley:

barry

goblr77

To me anything with a full fan is a shooter. A really good bird has 1-1/4" + hooks.