OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Qualifications for a good bird.

Started by Crutch, March 09, 2011, 11:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crutch

Just realized today that anything with a beard longer than 6 inchs and spurs longer than 7/16th inch is considered a good bird, or at least you will get told it is a good bird. Much different from deer where it needs at least 8 points and some mass, or weight to be considered a good deer by veteran hunter standards. However if a kid shoots anything, its a good deer.

A good turkey for me would need a 10" plus beard, 7/8ths plus spurs and be over 23 lbs( easterns toms) but my first year of hunting and probably last year, if it gobbled it was a good bird. Actually last year the one with 1 inch spurs was my good bird. But then again, they were all good birds.

Anybody else feel this way, that they are all good birds?
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

Flydown

A good bird to me is a dead bird with a full fan. I have killed a lot of good birds and I have killed better birds but I have never killed a bad bird.

shootumindaface

Quote from: Flydown on March 09, 2011, 11:02:58 PM
A good bird to me is a dead bird with a full fan. I have killed a lot of good birds and I have killed better birds but I have never killed a bad bird.
Yup, I always figure if he is 2 years old, he has lived 2 long

bowhunter84

:agreed:

4nwtf

I want to kill all turkeys 2 yrs old and above.  If a jake struts and gobbles my trigger finger gets very itchy!!!!

Shotgun

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 09, 2011, 11:04:14 PM
Yup, I always figure if he is 2 years old, he has lived 2 long

x3

Basser69

I had piece of property a few years back that I killed a lot of birds off of that had 1 1/4" + spurs on them but a big beard was 10". Average was 9 1/2". Most of the birds weighed between 18 and 19 1/2 pounds. Not huge beards or heavy weights but all great birds due to age.  The worst bird I ever killed was a good one and most were great.

gatrapper

Good Manners
Religious
Nice Family
Life Goals
Good Looks
Funny
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

OldMarine

A good gobbler ( never a bird ) too me is a gobbler you call off the roost in the timber and work  to call him up to the gun,one with a good hanging beard with spurs better than 1".Shooting a gobbler off of a chufa or clover patch isn't quite the same.
"Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." – Ronald Reagan

Kylongspur88

Quote from: gatrapper on March 09, 2011, 11:29:32 PM
Good Manners
Religious
Nice Family
Life Goals
Good Looks
Funny
:TooFunny: HA
I'll be honest, full fan he's toast. If a jake is really asking for it... I just like turkey hunting, the shot is just the bonus.

mudhen

X 2  :)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

handcannon

Aint dat da troof!

knightrider

to qualify it must be of the male species and be within 40 yards of the barrel if my son is pulling the trigger, for me anything over a jake will do :z-guntootsmiley:

TauntoHawk

If it was a fun and memorable hunt, it is a good bird. I don't take jakes

the group of guys I hunt with have a turkey competition for fun and we base it off the scoring system. 60 is a good score but it usually tAkes a high 60's unless a multi bead bird gets taken. But it's all in fun its just fun to get out and hunt with the guys
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>