turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Versamax questions???

Started by Thegobblergetter, July 16, 2013, 08:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thegobblergetter

Looking to find out what ya'll been using regarding chokes and loads in the VM, with either a 26" barrel or the new 22" turkey barrel.  Most of the loads I will be using will be Federal 3" HW6 or HW7, or Win 3 1/2" Extended 6.  If someone uses other shells and has had good results, let me know that also.  Thanks in advance, John

I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK AT 40 YARD PATTERNS WITH A jeb CHOKE AND 3 INCH HEVI SHOT BLENDS.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Thegobblergetter on July 16, 2013, 08:18:42 AM
Looking to find out what ya'll been using regarding chokes and loads in the VM, with either a 26" barrel or the new 22" turkey barrel.  Most of the loads I will be using will be Federal 3" HW6 or HW7, or Win 3 1/2" Extended 6.  If someone uses other shells and has had good results, let me know that also.  Thanks in advance, John

Hey John,

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a day with the Versa Max when it was introduced by Remington at the Grand American. Since that time I've fired hundreds of shells through that gun.

I have not seen the shorter barrelled gun that you mention but I've found that a 26" barrel is just about perfect for all types of shooting.

Most of my readers are shooting the JEB's chokes in their VM guns with excellent results. Over the last few months, it has been the most popular turkey choke of all that I offer for the VM.

Since the WXRHD shells have been discontinued, Hevi-13 has become the most popular shell but if you have a supply of the Winchesters, they should work well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

BandedSpur

Quote from: Thegobblergetter on July 16, 2013, 08:18:42 AM

Good luck with the VM; I have no experience with that gun. But if I might offer one word of advice. Unless required by law to shoot pellets larger than size 7, there is NO advantage whatsoever to shooting HW 6s vs HW 7s. The 7s have way more pellet energy than you will ever use. All the 6s will do is decrease your pattern counts and decrease your effective range as a result.

SumToy

It is a good gun that has put up some nice patterns.  I think it will work well with the Fed FCW because the bore in it.  Now the ones we tested was with the HV13.   660 to 665 you be set.   :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA