OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My new 835

Started by mikejd, July 02, 2013, 11:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

Last week I picked up a pre owned but new unfired 835. This is a NWTF model and the stock and forend are camo and the receiver is black but the barrel on the otherhand seems to be a flat almost greenish color that is actually a pretty nice color. However it just seems prone to rust. just like my flat black 870. (that gun rusts while I am oiling it. It has even developed the family nickname the rustbucket). Anyway just wondering if anyone has experience with this greenish color. And is it prone to rusting.

ShotGunSniper

I have used RemOil for years on all my guns. Never had a rust problem. Even here in Ky, where our humidity is always high. I can store my guns with afew layers of RemOil and never had a problem. I know many people say it aint worth crap but wondered why none of mine never rust. Now, Im stating with the layers on my newer 835. Rust free so far. I need to get ahold of my dad's Model 72 and clean the rust off that old gun also. I know I can have that rifle spottless with no rust coming back when I get it done. Now this has always worked for me for years. I know everyone does things different. New to turkey hunting but not new to firearms.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

mikejd

Thanks shotgun. I to use remoil amongst other things and am good with my maintenance but my 870 would rust if it were submerged in oil. One day I will dip that gun and be donewith it.

ShotGunSniper

Are you leaving that Remy out in the truck or somewhere where is it getting moisture? A buddy of mine does this with a .22-250. He leaves it in his truck year round. That thing had some rust on the surface of the barrel. Btw, I found that Hoppies #9 gun grease does great when storin them, also.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

mikejd

Quote from: ShotGunSniper on July 03, 2013, 09:23:10 PM
Are you leaving that Remy out in the truck or somewhere where is it getting moisture? A buddy of mine does this with a .22-250. He leaves it in his truck year round. That thing had some rust on the surface of the barrel. Btw, I found that Hoppies #9 gun grease does great when storin them, also.

No not at all its just the finish. If I hunt it by the end of a day you can see the rust starting to show. I mean its not real bad and as you said I keep it oiled like crazy and manage to keep up with it but it is a chore. I just hope my 835 is not the same.

RAY

835 is a great gun!  I've never had a rust issue with a Mossberg.  My 835 is camo, so I'm sure that helps alot.  But my deer slug gun 500 is blued and it holds up really really well. Just a light film of RemOil and in the safe they go.  But those Remingtons are a magnet for rust. If you take them in the field, you can find rust growing on them by the time you get home! Some people don't like RemOil, but I have had no problems at all with it.  Even in my autoloaders in cold hard winter.  I only use a light film inside and out.  Must be the Teflon that is in it if I would guess. My 2 cents.

ShotGunSniper

Mike, when I 1st got my 835, it had some rust forming on some of the reciever parts. I took it apart and it wiped off with RemOil. It is not to get off, so no damage to any of the parts. Also had some rust inside where the choke goes. Cleaned it up with the same and I used Hoppies gun grease for the choke threads. Now I will continue to keep appling RemOil to the bore and reciever parts for awhile. After awhile my bores was much easier to clean and lead, copper, and carbon did not stick to the surface as much. But yeah, you really might need to have that Remy refinished. Sounds like the finish is crap, imo. I do own a Remy but it's a 597 .22lr blued finish. Since you mentioned this about Remy's, I will have to try to keep it well grease when stored. Yeah, it's been in storage because of all this ammo shortage. I apply a thick layer of Hoppies gun grease on the whole surface of the barrel and reciever. Btw, Hoppes make a rust and moisture repellent wipes for you gun for the field. Never used it before but never hurt to try it.

Ray, I agree. I love the 835's so far. A great shotgun that dont break the bank, light but really heavyduty, and dont wear you down in the field when you have to run and gun or walking alot to point A to point B. Noticed that some of the top competion shooters are shooting with Mossberg now and even the boy's of Duck Dytnasy has teamed up with Mossberg. They are ahead of the pack nodays. And there is a reason behind it. Great guns!
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

cjordan

I have read where the new Remington's are not holding up worth a crap as far as rust goes, unless you get the full camo version. Please don't take that as me picking on Remington, because I do own a few, and I love the ones that I own. But I just thought about something a little bit ago. I have been keeping up with this thread, because I would like to know how the newer 835s are holding up. Anywho I bought a new lubricant a few months ago for my pistols, and so far I like it. Its called "Frog Lube". It was getting pretty good reviews so I thought I would give it a try. I think this stuff would work really well for shotguns that are prone to rust. For those of you who haven't heard of it, its pretty simple. You tear your gun apart, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, use a blow dryer or some other heat source to warm the metal up, then apply a thin layer of this stuff, let it sit for about an hour, and it will haze over like wax, use a terry cloth and wipe it down. Each time you use this on your gun of choice it will "season" the metal. This stuff is also an excellent cleaner. The first pistol I used it on I "thought" I had it clean until I used Frog Lube, I had so much residue on that yellow terry cloth it wasn't even funny, but that's what other folks said also. Oh also after you wipe the haze off the metal will look dry, once the metal heats up " from shooting" the frog lube will be liquid again. I know what I just said probably doesn't sound to good, but I do like this stuff a lot. I guess short story long this stuff is just like "seasoning cast iron", so it may be worth a shot on some of these rust prone critter getters. I doubt Frog Lube is a sponsor on Old Gobbler, so please don't take it as Im trying to pedal their product over here. Oh one more thing this stuff isn't the cheapest, but its not terrible, and a little bit goes a long way. I bought the tub that looks like a jar of wax. It comes with a little " paint brush" the bristles are probably 1/2" wide or so, just a little, little, little bit on the tip of the bristles will do any of my pistols. Again I apologize in advance if I just broke any rules or stepped on any toes, but this stuff may be the answer. If I had one of the shotguns that gets a lot of complaints about rust I would sure give it a try.

mikejd

Quote from: cjordan on July 04, 2013, 05:29:39 PM
I have read where the new Remington's are not holding up worth a crap as far as rust goes, unless you get the full camo version. Please don't take that as me picking on Remington, because I do own a few, and I love the ones that I own. But I just thought about something a little bit ago. I have been keeping up with this thread, because I would like to know how the newer 835s are holding up. Anywho I bought a new lubricant a few months ago for my pistols, and so far I like it. Its called "Frog Lube". It was getting pretty good reviews so I thought I would give it a try. I think this stuff would work really well for shotguns that are prone to rust. For those of you who haven't heard of it, its pretty simple. You tear your gun apart, wipe it down with rubbing alcohol, use a blow dryer or some other heat source to warm the metal up, then apply a thin layer of this stuff, let it sit for about an hour, and it will haze over like wax, use a terry cloth and wipe it down. Each time you use this on your gun of choice it will "season" the metal. This stuff is also an excellent cleaner. The first pistol I used it on I "thought" I had it clean until I used Frog Lube, I had so much residue on that yellow terry cloth it wasn't even funny, but that's what other folks said also. Oh also after you wipe the haze off the metal will look dry, once the metal heats up " from shooting" the frog lube will be liquid again. I know what I just said probably doesn't sound to good, but I do like this stuff a lot. I guess short story long this stuff is just like "seasoning cast iron", so it may be worth a shot on some of these rust prone critter getters. I doubt Frog Lube is a sponsor on Old Gobbler, so please don't take it as Im trying to pedal their product over here. Oh one more thing this stuff isn't the cheapest, but its not terrible, and a little bit goes a long way. I bought the tub that looks like a jar of wax. It comes with a little " paint brush" the bristles are probably 1/2" wide or so, just a little, little, little bit on the tip of the bristles will do any of my pistols. Again I apologize in advance if I just broke any rules or stepped on any toes, but this stuff may be the answer. If I had one of the shotguns that gets a lot of complaints about rust I would sure give it a try.

I have read other good things about frog lube and do have plans to use it I just have not gotten around to it. Cjorn thanks for the helpful post I do appreciate it.

cjordan

Quote from: mikejd on July 04, 2013, 06:04:26 PM
Quote from: cjordan on July 04, 2013, 05:29:39 PM

I have read other good things about frog lube and do have plans to use it I just have not gotten around to it. Cjorn thanks for the helpful post I do appreciate it.
Yes sir not a problem. When I bought mine, I ordered it from Amazon. I bought the kit, I guess you would call it. It came with the paste, oil, brush, and terry cloth. I read where more folks were talking about the paste than they were about the oil. Once I done a couple of my pistols with the paste, and seen how little it took, I gave the oil to a buddy of mine to try. He said so far he likes it. Beings that there is a good bit more metal on a shotgun than there is on a full size pistol, of course you will use more paste or oil.... but I would think that there is plenty in the tub of paste for more than a couple of times of use, until one was to figure out if they like it or not. They say after about three or four times of using Frog lube on the same gun, it will be a lot easier to clean, they say everything pretty much just wipes right off. I've got an 1100 mag that I would like to turn into a turkey gun, so I will try it out on that once I start messing with it.

ShotGunSniper

I heard of another gun oil that does the same thing. Got to heat the gun in order it to lub right. I too will have to look into the frong lube, since I own a blued Remy.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

mikejd

Quote from: ShotGunSniper on July 04, 2013, 08:18:31 PM
I heard of another gun oil that does the same thing. Got to heat the gun in order it to lub right. I too will have to look into the frong lube, since I own a blued Remy.

The blued Remy is not going to be a problem as I have a blued as well and that is mint. No rust problems at all. The one that gives me a rust issue is a flat finish not blue.

cjordan

Quote from: mikejd on July 04, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

The blued Remy is not going to be a problem as I have a blued as well and that is mint. No rust problems at all. The one that gives me a rust issue is a flat finish not blue.
This is what I have seen in most everything I've read, but I also read that folks with the camo version wasn't having this problem.

mikejd

Quote from: cjordan on July 04, 2013, 08:51:19 PM
Quote from: mikejd on July 04, 2013, 08:43:13 PM

This is what I have seen in most everything I've read, but I also read that folks with the camo version wasn't having this problem.

I also Have a camo. No problems at all

ShotGunSniper

So it does not have a finish to the gun, Mike? Now there is a reason why they are Blued or dipped them or stainless. Btw, I just picked up a bottle of Remington Moistureguard Rem Oil earlier. I have always used the Rem Oil but not the one with the Moistureguard.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag