OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SBE2 with 26" barrel choke using Magblends?

Started by reynolds243, July 01, 2013, 03:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reynolds243

Finally got the gun ive wanted now looking into testing it out with magblends (have a stock pile so that is the shell i will shoot).

I have a jelly head 660 ill try with it first but is anyone else shooting another combo that works well? looking for the 210-245 numbers at 40yds with a good 20" pattern.

I shot a Sumtoys in my stoeger as well as hevi shot choke with good results and will prob try one of those again but i just like seeing what else is out there. Im not a big Indian Creek fan due to some of the POI issues i had with the last 2 chokes i got from them. Great guys and good company just not a choke im looking at.

allaboutshooting

First of all, congratulations. You have a fine shotgun. I have done a lot of work both in my guns and through the patterning service that I offer with that gun as well as many other Benelli shotguns and the Magnum Blend shells.

In my service I offer to use any/all chokes that my customer owns as well as others that he may specify and chokes that I have in my inventory. I shoot my customer's barrel with my gun. I evaluate both 10" and 20" patterns, not just for numbers but for uniformity, evenness and mark all gaps over 2". I also note differences in POA and POI.

The chokes that consistently score the highest in all areas of evaluation are the Rob Roberts .650 and the SSX. In all of my evaluations I have seen fewer large gaps, more consistent POA to POI and more consistent patterns with these chokes.

The MB shells are punishing to pattern in large numbers but to really find out how they shoot in any particular barrel/choke it's necessary to shoot a number of them through each combination and under similar atmospheric conditions, ideally close to those in which you'll hunt. One or two shells in a given choke will just not tell you the story.

I believe that you will find that a choke in the .640 - .655 range will deliver your most consistent patterns. From my work, chokes without ports, or with ports that do not influence the wad, also perform more consistently.

Lastly, I have shot mostly 3" MB shells in all of those guns. At the request of some customers, I have shot 3.5" MB shells but on a more limited basis. The additional recoil produced by those shells can so easily cause a flinch, when shooting enough to really evaluate them, I limit the number that I will shoot in any one session, since I shoot them off my shoulder, supported by good rests.

I hope you find at least some of this information helpful and all my best to you as you find what works best for you with your gun.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

nyhunter

final strut .660 or .665 and I.C .665 gave great patterns in SBE II with mag blends.

reynolds243

Thanks Clark. Is there somewhere to buy final struts cheaper then $89? Thats a tad more then I want to spend currently. Buying the Gun broke me haha

PALongspur

If you pay the $ for a Final Strut you can try every constriction until you find the one that works best for you. It will save you a bunch of coin in the long run!  :icon_thumright:

allaboutshooting

Quote from: reynolds243 on July 01, 2013, 08:55:20 PM
Thanks Clark. Is there somewhere to buy final struts cheaper then $89? Thats a tad more then I want to spend currently. Buying the Gun broke me haha

You're welcome. As far as I know, direct from Rob Robert's Gunworks is the only source for those chokes.

I do understand the price.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mudhen

Jelly .660 & 3" MB in my SBE II has taken maybe 40+ birds for me.

It's a zippy combination, like a lightning bolt...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

the Ward

Renolds ,I am doing the same thing as you!I also have a large supply of blends and going to try them in my benelli vinci and bps.I'm going to try my .650 sumtoy first and go from there.Thinking of possibly trying a hevi shot choke or a rob Roberts,a trulock,or maybe another sumtoy in a different constriction.Keep me posted on your results if you can.....ward

reynolds243

Will do. I plan in trying the SumToy and hevi for sure and leaning to a rob Roberts. May try a rhino if I can find a deal on one.

the Ward

Holy magblend death batman!Shot the vinci yesterday afternoon with the .650 sumtoy and blends.I got some unbelievable results.When my son gets here he's going to help me post up the pics in the patterning section later today.Wait till you see it! Suffice it to say I'm a true believer in htl now!Also I shot the xtended range with the kicks .665,very even looking pattern to me,just didn't get the numbers I wanted.I may try a .660 or .655 with the xtended range.Didn't try the blends with the kicks as I ran out of patterning paper!.....ward     

reynolds243

yeah i got crazy good patterns with the 650 sumtoy and blends in my stoeger using 3" shells...was averaging 220 in 10" with a very even 20".

from what ive read and heard though for some reason the SBE2 like more around 655-665 but every guns different for sure.

CrustyRusty

Rhino 660 with that combo...killin mochine!

Charliebtsj

Got magblends patterns in the 220 range with IC
665 clean barrel less than ideal shooting conditions.  Best results were with the Nitros recommended by Nitro for that gun choke combo.  They ran in the high 240s range

Charliebtsj

That was with a 24" barrel.  Buddy get awesome results with a 26 in SBE II rhino 660 and Nitros Good luck

Charliebtsj

PS the IC 665 with hevi shot 6s were 190 in the ten and another 165 in the20 the patterns were more even in the 20 the magblends and Nitros were tighter in the 10 ring but thinner in the outside 10 of the twenty ring