only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spook Spann in trouble again????

Started by doublebarrel, June 30, 2013, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

but...but...but... He didn't know.

nativeks

Well, looks like he is getting jail time.

Outdoors celebrity 'Spook' Spann sentenced to jail for violation of poaching probation
By Michael Pearce
The Wichita Eagle
Published Wednesday, July 31, 2013, at 2:45 p.m.
Updated Wednesday, July 31, 2013, at 2:53 p.m.

Hunting celebrity "Spook" Spann sentenced in poaching incident 
Hunter fined, hunting privileges suspended for illegally killing buck 

Professional hunter and outdoors television show host William "Spook" Spann has been sentenced to 30 days in jail and has been banned from hunting worldwide for one year.

Spann, 50, of Dickson, Tenn., received the sentence for violating conditions of a probation for a poaching violation he received last year in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Mo.

His jail time can be spent through assorted nights and weekends and must be completed by Feb. 28, 2014. The U.S. Bureau of Prisons will decide where Spann serves his time.

According to a court document, U.S. Magistrate Judge James P. O'Hara ruled Spann had violated a probation that forbid him from hunting anywhere in the United States for about the first half of this year. Federal game wardens obtained video footage and Facebook photos of Spann dressed in camoflauge and assisting other turkey hunters this spring in Tennessee.

Though Spann was not carrying a weapon and did not kill a turkey, he was ruled to be hunting because he was calling to turkeys, carrying hunting equipment, carrying dead turkeys and illegally spreading bait to attract turkeys.

In November 2012, Spann pled guilty to a 2007 violation of the Lacey Act, when he transported an illegally-tagged buck from Kansas to Tennessee. In November 2007, Spann shot a whitetail buck in Stafford County that carried non-typical antlers that gross-scored about 230 inches of antler on the Pope & Young scoring system, making it one of the biggest bucks killed in the world.

The buck was shot during the Kansas archery deer season, with proper equipment and where Spann had permission to hunt. The permit he used, though, was specifically restricted to land Spann owned and/or leased for agricultural purposes.

When Spann plead guilty in November to the Lacey Act violation, he was ordered to pay $20,000 in fines and restitution. He was then banned from hunting anywhere in the U.S. for six months and from hunting in Kansas for an entire year. He was also ordered to forfeit the antlers of the illegally-tagged buck, and any replicas that had been made of the rack.

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/07/31/2917104/outdoors-celebrity-spook-spann.html#storylink=cpy

Neill_Prater

Just another celebrity that thinks the rules don't apply to him. I am glad they nailed him, and unlike his Hollywood counterparts, I hope this sinks him as far as his hunting show goes. It is one thing to make a mistake, it is quite another to continue making more.

timberjack86

Quote from: Neill_Prater on August 01, 2013, 01:52:38 AM
Just another celebrity that thinks the rules don't apply to him. I am glad they nailed him, and unlike his Hollywood counterparts, I hope this sinks him as far as his hunting show goes. It is one thing to make a mistake, it is quite another to continue making more.
:agreed:

Old Gobbler

This is the second high profile " TV " hunter to be arrested due to..... a ( former cameraman) the other being Jeff Foils - that cameraman was known to be in a relationship with his X wife , so under the bus went Jeff --

the flashy TV personalities ,  all the fame and glamour has a severe drawback as the limelight tends to bring you under the close scrutiny of the law enforcement community

I would also like to point out a federal law the Lacey Act .... it is very severe in penalties and gravitates around cross border ( state) violations --we are talking federal or state penitentiary time....for something like a goose or a Osceola turkey crossing the state line , I emplore any of you to avoid any of these so called " guides" that try to illegally sell you a Florida quota permit , just like how a judge interpreted spook as hunting even though he didn't touch s gun , a person can be federally convicted for paying a guide for services in conjunction with a quota permit - there has been several arrests in the past , don't pay someone for things that are legally free -- The state of Florida game commission has a special cyber unit dedicated just to nabbing violators , special focus has been played to Florida spring turkey permits , they routinely patrol forums and Facebook , warning given ...... please beware ....

All this money and TV people are ruining the immage of the sport
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

barry

spurman

All this money and TV people are ruining the immage of the sport. I agree
Spring turkey hunting, I love it so.                FREEDOM IS NOT FREE