News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spook Spann in trouble again????

Started by doublebarrel, June 30, 2013, 10:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeybow

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on July 01, 2013, 08:10:55 PM
Another "celeb" hunter goes bad. Makes you wonder if that awesome buck he took with his bow was a fake, canned hunt and illegal harvest as well. Sad that people have to stoop to such levels to make a buck. ::)

It was the big buck that Spann took back in 2007 that got him in trouble.  He killed it on a neighbor's property when he only had a hunt your own land license.  Spann transported that deer to TN which made it worse because he transported illegally took game across state lines making it federal.  Here is that story:

http://www.wate.com/story/20211512/professional-hunter-pleads-to-hunting-violation
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

barry

"A landowner has to fill out a form, farmland owner license exemption statement.  Once the form is filled out all you have to do is have it with you.  Spann didn't have a license because he didn't have to have one on his land.  Just had to have the form which can be found in the hunting guide."

So he could get the form without anyone knowing it. Ahhh, that explains it.

turkeybow

Quote from: barry on July 07, 2013, 05:44:22 PM
"A landowner has to fill out a form, farmland owner license exemption statement.  Once the form is filled out all you have to do is have it with you.  Spann didn't have a license because he didn't have to have one on his land.  Just had to have the form which can be found in the hunting guide."

So he could get the form without anyone knowing it. Ahhh, that explains it.

Exactly!  He could have got the form from the hunting guide or even printed one offline.
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

Turkey Trot

The federal government has nothing better to do that spend time and money on things like him killing a deer in KS and turkeys in TN?

Really? 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

zeke632

Quote from: bigbird on July 02, 2013, 09:06:29 PM
A lot of outfitters out west use bait! The outfitter in oklahoma that the hs guys hunt or hunted with not sure if they still do or not told me this year when I spoke to him that he runs corn feeders year around to ensure the birds don't leave his leases! So that makes me wonder how many other "pros" hunt bait?

A couple years ago while in western Ok I stopped at an outfitters lodge with a buddy of mine who had worked for the outfit the previous deer season.  There were several pictures of a famous "Pro Staff" crew on the wall who became famous for turkey calls....calling to much & calling to loud.
The owner of the lodge & my buddy spent a while visiting with me just tagging along. What I learned was that most every one of the turkeys killed on the properties there were either over corn, on the way to corn or leaving from corn.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

The Tennessee definition of hunting is ambiguous because it doesn't specify if one has to have the capability to harvest an animal. Since he was unarmed, one could infer his intention was never to PERSONALLY harvest a bird and therefore, would fall outside of tennessee's definition.

As I said earlier, I think a good lawyer will handle this just fine. And for the record, contributing to a hunt is not hunting.  You have to be able to kill an animal to be in the act of hunting.  As an unarmed guide, you're just a facilitator.

barry

Quote from: Turkey Trot on July 08, 2013, 02:24:20 PM
The federal government has nothing better to do that spend time and money on things like him killing a deer in KS and turkeys in TN?

Really?

If I'm not mistaken all game violations are handled in Federal court.

mudhen

Quote from: barry on July 09, 2013, 10:18:14 AM

Really?

Not all, just in situations where they have jurisdiction.

The Tan Jeans have jurisdiction because Spook is on federal probation for violation of the federal Lacey Act.

The state is involved because if a possible state hunting law violation.

FYI, many legal rules don't apply to parolees, so his Daggett will have to blow very hard to make this house fall down.

I would bet that it results in no conviction, but a significant increase in the probation terms.

We'll see....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

bigbird

I hope they hammer him and go after all the other TV show guys that cheat! It's the TV shows that have changed the game for the worst! Poaching and being unethical just so they can fill the tag.

barry

Quote from: mudhen on July 09, 2013, 10:46:43 AM
Quote from: barry on July 09, 2013, 10:18:14 AM

Really?

Not all, just in situations where they have jurisdiction.

The Tan Jeans have jurisdiction because Spook is on federal probation for violation of the federal Lacey Act.

The state is involved because if a possible state hunting law violation.

FYI, many legal rules don't apply to parolees, so his Daggett will have to blow very hard to make this house fall down.

I would bet that it results in no conviction, but a significant increase in the probation terms.

We'll see....

mudhen

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info mudhen

guesswho

I guess I need to get out from under my rock more often.  I had no idea who Spook Spann was so I googled him and found some pictures.  I still don't know who he is.  If I was him, the first thing I'd do would be to change my fricking name.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rokhal07

Quote from: guesswho on July 09, 2013, 07:39:17 PM
I guess I need to get out from under my rock more often.  I had no idea who Spook Spann was so I googled him and found some pictures.  I still don't know who he is.  If I was him, the first thing I'd do would be to change my fricking name.

Lol. X2 couldnt begin to tell you anything about him and im from Tn

Turkey Trot

Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

slamman

Quote from: guesswho on July 09, 2013, 07:39:17 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:  i came to the same conclusion thank you

turkeybow

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on July 09, 2013, 07:08:42 AM
The Tennessee definition of hunting is ambiguous because it doesn't specify if one has to have the capability to harvest an animal. Since he was unarmed, one could infer his intention was never to PERSONALLY harvest a bird and therefore, would fall outside of tennessee's definition.

As I said earlier, I think a good lawyer will handle this just fine. And for the record, contributing to a hunt is not hunting.  You have to be able to kill an animal to be in the act of hunting.  As an unarmed guide, you're just a facilitator.

Here is the definition again:

"Hunting" means chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, worrying, following after or on the trail of, searching for, trapping, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife, whether or not such wildlife is then or subsequently captured, killed, taken, or wounded and every act of assistance to any other person, but "hunting" does not include stalking, attracting, searching for, or lying in wait for, wildlife by an unarmed person solely for the purpose of watching wildlife or taking pictures of wildlife.

In it you will see, and every act of assistance to any other person, so if you assist in hunting (guiding, calling, or anything else) then in TN you are considered to be hunting.  You don't have to be able to kill an animal in order to be considered hunting.  To my understanding he was guiding and calling so he was hunting.
~ Aldo Leopold