Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Running out to step on your birds neck after the shot.

Started by mikejd, June 27, 2013, 11:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikejd

Back when shells and chokes weren't as great as they are today we all learned to make sure that we run out and get a foot on your birds neck. Do you think that this could actually be biting us in the butt. Example you just called in 3 birds to your decoy setup or yourself if you dont use them. These 3 birds are hearing your calling seeing your decoys and now there strutting in gun range. Boom you shoot. Now if you don't move usually the other birds just meander around confused then walk off. However if you come bolting from the brush I bet thats a sight they wont soon forget. Now these are really the same birds we are going to be hunting tomorrow or next week or even next year. But this has got to be something that they are not likely to forget.

Wingbone

I completely agree. For several years now I've been managing my farm solely for deer and turkeys and i've noticed how they react to instances such as this. If I shoot a deer and bail out of the stand to check him out, any deer that see me seem to leave that field for weeks. Turkeys were the same way, so now, no matter where I hunt, I stay put till all other deer and turkeys have left the field after the shot. It seems to have made a difference in the productivity of that area by not letting them see me. I believe this is how they imprint pressure on an area. I'm not saying they can reason, but a creature of habit will change it's habits if given a reason too.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

DirtNap647

Quote from: Wingbone on June 28, 2013, 12:27:13 AM
I completely agree. For several years now I've been managing my farm solely for deer and turkeys and i've noticed how they react to instances such as this. If I shoot a deer and bail out of the stand to check him out, any deer that see me seem to leave that field for weeks. Turkeys were the same way, so now, no matter where I hunt, I stay put till all other deer and turkeys have left the field after the shot. It seems to have made a difference in the productivity of that area by not letting them see me. I believe this is how they imprint pressure on an area. I'm not saying they can reason, but a creature of habit will change it's habits if given a reason too.
x2

mikejd

The reason I brought this up was that this year I shot a bird that had like 8-10 jakes hanging around with him.
So I shoot my bird and as usuall run right out to grab my bird. So figuring that these other birds were all jakes that I would be seing them for the rest of the week that I was up as this spot consistently holds the birds.
But that's not what happened I shot that bird on day 1 of a 9 day trip and those jakes never resurficed the entire trip. So obviosly they learned something from it. Lets hope they have short memories otherwise that will be a tough group of 2yr olds next year.

busta biggun

I always watch their heads after I shoot, and if they can't hold their heads up but they are flopping, I just let them flop if there are other birds there. If he is laying on the ground and his head is up and his eyes open, I bust out there quick to make sure he doesn't take off. I don't care what I scare off, my first priority is to retrieve the bird I shot.

redmag

I agree with the previous poster.  I have seen turkeys hang around after I have shot my bird and the thing about the head up is right on the mark.  Many years ago I shot a bird and didn't beat it to him as he lay there and in my mind to be dead in seconds.  I was wrong, he jumped up got righted and disappeared.  I have never spooked birds off running to a dead one and really went back after the others.  One thing for sure turkeys do what they want to do and vary from bird to bird.

the Ward

Quote from: busta biggun on June 28, 2013, 11:32:00 AM
I don't care what I scare off, my first priority is to retrieve the bird I shot.           :agreed:

Deputy 14

If they're moving after the shot around here you have to get a foot on their head. I've chased birds hundreds of yards down these steep mountains. Usually by the time you get to them they're already plucked though.

bowmike

I shot a bird this year and watched him fall down. I was slow to get up and it flew right at me. I missed him on 2 consecutive shots at close range.

When i shot my bird and watched him fall I took off after him and finished him off. I guess only having one tag and the fact the other robo-cop- bird got away played a lot to do with this.

I bought a scope and such and hope to not have to deal with flopping turkey anymore. I will tell you what a 20 pound bird is a lot toufher than you think. He decked me for a few seconds ;)

Tail Feathers

I shoot and rack another round in and hold it on the downed bird for a bit to make sure.
If you see those eyes open or that he can still control his head, put another round in him.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

the Ward

Yea,i had a little impromptu session of hand to spur/wing combat years ago that took place on a steep rocky hillside.It is not something I care to repeat......ever!  Lol!       ward     :newmascot:     

savduck

I dont run to any shot bird. I sit for a minute and wait in case they or one of their buddies needs shooting at.
Georgia Boy

RutnNStrutn

I shoot birds that are in range and are a clean harvest. So I don't feel the need to jump up and run out to them. If there are other gobblers or jakes, I sit tight and let them walk away.

Terry

It depends on how lively they are. Most times I am not in any hurry to get to them.

I also don't believe the Jakes will remember you the following year, their brain is tiny. A Tom the same year might remember you though.