OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you give up Turkey hunting for a whole season so you could...

Started by TheTwistedOne, June 19, 2013, 01:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headbanger

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 19, 2013, 03:21:47 PM
If the trip was that important to my wife, I would take her on it,....but I would also be finding some public land to hunt turkeys on for the year.  The thought that I couldn't do both would never enter my mind, regardless of the situation.

This :icon_thumright:

dirtnap

No way.  Why do you have to give up turkey hunting for the season?  The fishing trip is one week.  Schedule it for sometime in June.  And turkey hunt likes it's your last season.  What's your wife gonna do?  Be mad at you?  She'll get over it.

Cove

No way no how never. Nope. Not a chance. Not in this lifetime. Don't matter with who and where too. . . not missing a turkey season.

owlhoot

take the trip with your wife and friends.
your wife fishes, your lucky to have her! She willing to go to Alaska, lucky to have her!
Turkey hunting 3 to 6 weeks, most states. Public and walk in ground all over midwest and west.
Find a way to do both, save scrimp,cut out hbo. and cinemax. make your own coffee.Order water with meals.
Shoot lead if ya absolutely have to.
Missed a few seasons in the land of the sand,ya it sucked.You get over it. many missed this year giving the rest of us the freedom to go .
Good luck.

kansas hooks

TheTwistedOne

Quote from: owlhoot on June 19, 2013, 07:38:31 PM
take the trip with your wife and friends.
your wife fishes, your lucky to have her! She willing to go to Alaska, lucky to have her!
Turkey hunting 3 to 6 weeks, most states. Public and walk in ground all over midwest and west.
Find a way to do both, save scrimp,cut out hbo. and cinemax. make your own coffee.Order water with meals.
Shoot lead if ya absolutely have to.
Missed a few seasons in the land of the sand,ya it sucked.You get over it. many missed this year giving the rest of us the freedom to go .
Good luck.

Thank you for your service and our freedom to go.  I hope you won't have to miss any more.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Deputy 14 on June 19, 2013, 01:40:18 PM
I say go fishing. This may be your only opportunity to go and see those sights. Turkey season will come again.
I agree

HoggleGobble

Change it from Alaska to the west coast, during a turkey season, and hunt in the morning, be ready by the time everyone wakes up and go fishing. But best advice I can give is 'Stay away from his GF!!!' It may make for a very short trip if you don't!!! ( no pun intended) :happy0064:

TRKYHTR

I've had to make similar decisions in my lifetime. Turkey hunting always won. Only thing that's ever came close was archery elk hunting during the bugle.
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

howl

Nope. The only things that come before turkeys are work and family obligations.

cjordan

As much as I love to fish Alaska isn't my cup of tea, so I'm going to say no. Also the other way to look at it is..... If you have a wife who is willing to take an outdoor sporting trip, you need to do something with her. Last but not least. I don't know your situation, but if you drop your lease membership for a year so you can do this, will you have the chance to renew your membership the year after? In my area most hunting clubs would fill your spot ASAP. Good luck with which ever you decide to do, and congrats for having a wife who wants to spend time outdoors with you.

El Pavo Grande

Like others have said, I wouldn't give up turkey hunting to fish.  BUT, if my wife wanted to go on this trip, I would likely make an exception to go.  If she wasn't into it, then no way!!!  If you have public land nearby, then why would turkey season be a complete loss?  Another important thing to consider...if you have a great lease, those are sometimes very hard to come by.  If you relinquish your membership you will regret it down the road.  One week fishing trip wouldn't justify giving that up.  If at all possible, do you have time to try and save $ for both?

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Id never give up turkey hunting but I think it's important to be multi-dimensional as a person and as a hunter.

Continually traveling to new places and seeking the challenges, sights and sounds they offer are an essential part of that process.