turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey vest

Started by bigbird, June 16, 2013, 08:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbird

Next season I need to get a new turkey vest, the one I've had for years is not going to make it. I'm just looking for opinions on what vest to get, I'm leaning towards the middle of the road vest that ol Tom makes. I carry several pot calls and don't know what vest would best suit a guy that carries multiple pots and multiple strikers? I'm just looking for some pros and cons of the different brands that you guys are using! Thanks and happy Father's Day

WV Ridge Reaper

I like my ol tom vest a lot.I have the cheapest one they make and it will hold 4 pot calls,I would just put my strikers together,put a hair band around em and slide them in the box call pouch.But the vest can hold 2 striker on each side.

I am pretty sure the I beam vest is like the cadillac of vest and from the video they show it holds everything and the pot call holders are on the out side of the vest.It just looksbetter

eddie234

I have an hs strut suv vest. I really like it alot. Plenty of pockets and room for everything. It keeps all my stuff very well organized. I carry 4 pot calls and multiple strikers, two pots go on the out side and i carry two in an inside pocket. I just recently got a striker roll up pouch and its awesome.  Ive thought about buying a spare just to make sure if they are discontinued ill have one on hand.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

WiLL B

I really like my Cabela's Tactical Tater 2. It sits really good and keeps things from rattling when walking.

mudhen

Who knows what will come out for next season?

I doubt the Super Elite will just go away, but might not have a sponsor by this spring.

I would look for a Super Elite III close out now, might be a few left,..

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

CrustyRusty

+2

Quote from: WiLL B on June 16, 2013, 02:24:52 PM
I really like my Cabela's Tactical Tater 2. It sits really good and keeps things from rattling when walking.

Onpoint

Everybody's got somethin they really like in a vest but here's my 2cents. I like the basspro bucklick creek lounger. It's a good vest worth lookin at. I don't know how it'll hold up cuz i just hunted with it one season. Hopefully she's got Atleast 3 or 4 more in er.

Usahuntingear

Quote from: eddie234 on June 16, 2013, 12:05:39 PM
I have an hs strut suv vest. I really like it alot. Plenty of pockets and room for everything. It keeps all my stuff very well organized. I carry 4 pot calls and multiple strikers, two pots go on the out side and i carry two in an inside pocket. I just recently got a striker roll up pouch and its awesome.  Ive thought about buying a spare just to make sure if they are discontinued ill have one on hand.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

I attached one of our striker roll ups to the outside of my vest along with a double pot/striker pouch that comes wityh a D ring for attachment. Works great.
One day at a time.

busta biggun

Quote from: Onpoint on June 16, 2013, 11:40:56 PM
Everybody's got somethin they really like in a vest but here's my 2cents. I like the basspro bucklick creek lounger. It's a good vest worth lookin at. I don't know how it'll hold up cuz i just hunted with it one season. Hopefully she's got Atleast 3 or 4 more in er.

This. I don't care about if my vest has a specific pocket that fits a 7.3" striker made out of specially treated, volcano-compressed heartwood from a Tsing-Tsing tree from Southeast Asia. You can always find a bag that will work and throw it in your vest. I HAVE to have a lounger. If a vest doesn't have one, I won't use it. I have seen so many situations where we hear a bird respond, I plop down right where I am next to a little bush while my friends run around looking for a giant oak tree to lean against. A longer is worth it's weight in gold to me. I had my first Bucklick Lounger for 5 years of HARD hunting. My second one is 4 years old and still going strong.

eddie234

[/quote]
my friends run around looking for a giant oak tree to lean against.
[/quote]
This is why you shouldn't call without first finding a suitable setup.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

busta biggun

Well Eddie, some hunters like to cover a lot of ground and try to strike a bird by calling now and then. Additionally, if you ever hunt Kansas you will find there are not always big trees around to lean against, no matter how long you look. Even deciding to get set up by a large tree before calling, I have had numerous occasions where there are zero trees where I would like to set up. That includes TN, GA, SD, FL, MO, etc. Maybe there is a strut zone I want to hunt, or a food plot, etc. that has no big comfy trees to lean against. These loungers are fantastic and it is just my opinion that hunters need to have options for when there are no big trees where you need them.

Usahuntingear

Hmmm, wonder if we could come out with a instant fold up tree, now watch cabelas come out with it.LOL
One day at a time.

Cut N Run

I've got a M.O. Limbhanger vest that I like a lot. Of course, they're no longer made.  It does not have a ton of space, but that keeps it from getting overloaded.  Thinking the grass might be greener on the other side of the vest, I bought an Ol' Tom I-Beam.  It fit right, was light weight, and very comfortable.  But, it wouldn't hold my long box calls.  They kept falling out of the box call pockets, which were only made for short boxes.  I kept having to pick my calls off the ground several times before I got where I was going to set up.  I felt like one of those Gangstas' with using one hand to hold up my britches up as I walked to keep 'em half hanging off my butt.  I took it back to the truck, grabbed a few necessities out of it and went back to hunting.  It got returned the next day.  I like to be able to reach for an individual striker and not have to fumble through pockets with several loose ones before I find the one I want too.  As well made as that Ol' Tom vest is, it has a few design flaws that need to be worked out on the drawing board. 

I wish I'd bought a spare Limbhanger several years ago.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

sixbird

I have an old one that Cabelas used to sell. It has an inner tube seat that is C-O-M-F-O-R-T-A-B-L-E!!!! It has plenty of pockets for long and short boxes and strikers and pots and has a waist belt to carry some of the weight...It's a great vest but, sadly, they don't sell them any more...I'm going to be really sad when this one wears out  :'(

Hooks' n' Beards'

i have went through 6 vests,i really like the Double L turkey vest from LL Bean...

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/59167