OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NITRO AMMO

Started by huntmaster80, June 12, 2013, 10:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntmaster80

So I just got a new Benelli M2 20 gauge, and I am trying to think ahead for next year.  I am having a VERY hard time trying to locate any Federal Heavyweight #7 ( I did find a few boxes of #6's that I did not buy).  So for my question........ Is that NItro ammo company ammo worht what they charge? It is very expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for.  Or would I be better off going and buying the Fed #6 and just living with the pattern that I get from them, Im also still looking for a choke, thinking about going with an Indian Creek .555?????

Thanks for the help in making a decision

busta biggun

It all depends on who you ask. I am thrilled with the patterns I get with Hevishot Magblends, but others will tell you the Nitros are WAY better. I agree that the Nitros will give you a better pattern. The guys at Rob Roberts will say that the Nitros do not have the "wallop" that the Hevishot blends do so it is a matter of opinion. You cannot deny how well the Nitros pattern. The question is how much is enough? if you are shooting at 20 yards it just doesn't matter. If you are shooting beyond 40 yards you have to ask yourself, "what is more important, great patterns or ballistic intensity?" The debate will never end. I recommend going to the turkey gun section of these forums. My suggestion is hevi-shot mag blends but there are many differing opinions.

FL-Boss

No  personal experience.. but from what I have read.. it may be slightly better.  Now.. is it worth the extra costs and the hassle of their dated ordering system... not to me.  Sit tight ... you will get your Fed HW #7 likely in the next month... turkey season is over now and turkey ammo should free up real soon.

Lucky me.. I went into bass pro about a month ago and they had about 15 boxes of the #7.. I think I purchased 8 boxes.

FL-Boss

Also - I wouldn't waste your time with the Fed #6... when you know you are going to switch to the #7 once they become available again.

As for choke... the IC and Sumtoy are hard to beat in the 20ga.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Go nitro and you won't have to spend the time or money a lot of guys do trying to find the best load/choke combo.

Other than TSS, there ain't a substitute for nitro.

BOFF

Looks like the Federal Heavy weight #7 it is in stock at Macks Praire Wings

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-FEDPHT256F7

God Bless,
David B.

bartstarr

Magblends and ic= 188 in 10"@ 40

redarrow

I'm shooting a Nova with Indian Creek .555 and Nitro 7s. My best pattern has been 270 in the 10 inch at 40 yards.  My 3 shot average was 243. To me the Nitros are money well spent.

FL-Boss

good find!... that are a good price as well.

Quote from: BOFF on June 13, 2013, 12:48:07 AM

God Bless,
David B.

hookedspur

Quote from: redarrow on June 13, 2013, 08:48:02 AM
I'm shooting a Nova with Indian Creek .555 and Nitro 7s. My best pattern has been 270 in the 10 inch at 40 yards.  My 3 shot average was 243. To me the Nitros are money well spent.

My M2 is set up this way and shoots Nitro 7s nearly as well.
I think you will be very pleased with this set-up as well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

turkeyfeathers

Have shot nitro's for years but this year I bought and patterned some Heavi mag blends. Was quite happy with the results as well. Actually think the Heavi blends work out to a little more $  I was shooting the 5-6-7's in Nitro and never had bird say he wasn't dead enough. I'm pretty impartial to which one I stuff in the gun. Both really good. Whatever I dig out of my vest goes in the tube. You can't go wrong either way IMO.

lightsoutcalls

I shot nitros several years back in my 870.  They patterned well with a Primos Jellyhead tube.  They also worked well with an Indian Creek choke, which is what I have now.  I found them to leave a lot of deposit in my barrel.  After 2 shots there was obvious buildup. 

Through a "business deal", I ended up with a case of HeviShot 3" #6's.  I still have half of a 25 round box of Nitro's under my bed that I haven't touched in 4 years.  The Hevi 6's out of my 870 and Indian Creek choke tube have proven that I don't need to change a thing to kill turkeys at distances that shouldn't even be considered.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

vaturkey

Quote from: BOFF on June 13, 2013, 12:48:07 AM

Hey Boff

They are 2 3/4 "  1 1/8oz.  Thanks for the heads up though !

vaturkey   :newmascot:

God Bless,
David B.
Vaturkey

mspaci

I shoot a 10 ga & Nitro gives me 315-330  ave at 40, Jelleyhead .690, but the magblends only around 200. I was out of Nitros & gave them a shot, but I did harvest my second bird w one & they were fine. Probably Nitros next season if they will ship to NY?  Mike

huntmaster80

Thanks for the link!!! I just ordered 8 boxes so that I have them. That doesn't mean that I am not going to give the nitro shells a try but now I can focus on a choke