OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A good gun wax?

Started by ShotGunSniper, June 11, 2013, 05:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShotGunSniper

I been wondering about a good gun wax for a factory dipped shotgun. Also could you just use afew coats of car wax instead? I have heard hunters doing this. Clear coats dont last long with all the gun cleaner applied.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

West Augusta

I use lemon oil on my stocks and trumpets.  Just don't use it the day before you go hunting.  :TooFunny:
My stock is laminated not camo dipped.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

stinkpickle

Are they supposed to be waxed?

spaightlabs

No point whatsoever in waxing a synthetic stock...

You ain't gonna find a lot of waxed finishes in the turkey woods...

ShotGunSniper

LOL, I know Im not going to find anything waxed in the woods. I was just tryin to protect the camo finish and the reciever, barrel and mag tube. Nothing to do with being shiny or anything.

So can a car wax work as good as a gun wax? Im sure gun wax is just another Carnauba wax.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

Hognutz

I'd be curious to see if any of the manufacturers or "dippers" would recommend waxing. I don't see the point. I own many dipped guns and just wipe them off with a wet rag when they get dirty. If you hunt with it, as a tool, it will become less than new looking, the more it is handled. Wax or no wax.
I believe it is an exercise in futility.
I have many camo'd guns and don't wax them. For what it's worth, I don't wax my wood stocked guns either.
If it was a normal operation, everyone and their brother would be selling camo gun wax. JMHO..

Mike
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

ShotGunSniper

Quote from: Hognutz on June 11, 2013, 05:12:17 PM
I'd be curious to see if any of the manufacturers or "dippers" would recommend waxing. I don't see the point. I own many dipped guns and just wipe them off with a wet rag when they get dirty. If you hunt with it, as a tool, it will become less than new looking, the more it is handled. Wax or no wax.
I believe it is an exercise in futility.
I have many camo'd guns and don't wax them. For what it's worth, I don't wax my wood stocked guns either.
If it was a normal operation, everyone and their brother would be selling camo gun wax. JMHO..

Mike

I do get your point. But guns that are dipped, do have a clear coat applied to the finish afterwards. It's to help protect that finish. Well over time it get's wore, mainly from hunting and cleaners that might get on the finish. Almost like painting a car and such. Ypu have to keep them waxed atleast once a year. Not everone does it but it does help. Btw, I knew that not many, waxes their finish of their guns but I know some do. I might go ahead and try it anyways. Im sure it wont hurt it.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

spaightlabs

It wouldn't hurt to drink your own urine either, doesn't mean ya should do it.

The reason you can't find a good gun wax is that it isn't needed, just a waste of time.

ncturkey

I never heard of anyone using a wax on Camo gun. But if you do not get gun cleaners off your Camo shotgun it will eat the Camo finish off. I just make sure I clean all gun cleaner off after each time I clean my guns.

o2stk1

try some renaissance wax , I got mine thru midway, I found out about it on ruger forum, you can use it on everything its great stuff and a little goes a long way. its a micro-crystalline wax polish, it was developed for the art world but its great on fine firearms

ShotGunSniper

Quote from: o2stk1 on June 11, 2013, 09:27:24 PM
try some renaissance wax , I got mine thru midway, I found out about it on ruger forum, you can use it on everything its great stuff and a little goes a long way. its a micro-crystalline wax polish, it was developed for the art world but its great on fine firearms

Yeah I read about the Renaissance wax. More of a wax for collectors. But afraid tryin it on camo finishes.

So that being said. I will past on any wax on my camo Mossy.

Btw, what about the Silicone gun clothes on camo dipped guns?
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag