OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Guy I work with got hurt bad today

Started by Onpoint, June 11, 2013, 02:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

I'm off work now because I just had a shoulder surgery last week. This mornin a phone call woke me up from work and that's when I learned that a coworker got hurt really bad today. Tree trimming is dangerous work but what I heard today blew my mind. This guy was new and not the best climber in the world but he was learning. He was about 25 feet up a sycamore when he spiked out and went free falling down. He had a safety around the tree but evidentially he panicked and put his legs straight out and never tried to grab the tree or get his spikes back in or anything. He fell to the ground and a stob from a sapling he cut went up his butthole and punctured his colon, bladder, and intestines. This poor boy is gonba have to wear a bag for Atleast 5 months. This man could really use some prayers.
Id told that boy no tellin how many times you can't leave stobs standing, cut em off at the ground. Makes me wish I had scheduled my surgery a week later, if I had, I'd been the one trimming the tree and the young man wouldn't be going through this right now. Please pray for him.

misfire

Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

lightsoutcalls

Why was he not tied in with a rope and saddle (harness)?  My dad trimmed trees for a living before I was born and for the first few years of my life.  Growing up, most of my weekends were spent helping him by dragging and loading brush from the trees he trimmed on the side to make ends meet. 
   My dad only had an 8th grade education, but he knew enough to ALWAYS use a rope and saddle when trimming.  It saved his life more than once.

I pray that God will help your co-worker recover quickly and fully.  I also pray that your co-worker will recognize the importance of taking needed safety precautions to help bring him home safely in the future. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

ILHUNTER

Onpoint

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on June 11, 2013, 09:18:28 AM
  Why was he not tied in with a rope and saddle (harness)?  My dad trimmed trees for a living before I was born and for the first few years of my life.  Growing up, most of my weekends were spent helping him by dragging and loading brush from the trees he trimmed on the side to make ends meet. 
   My dad only had an 8th grade education, but he knew enough to ALWAYS use a rope and saddle when trimming.  It saved his life more than once.

I pray that God will help your co-worker recover quickly and fully.  I also pray that your co-worker will recognize the importance of taking needed safety precautions to help bring him home safely in the future.
He had a safety around the tree. But when you spike out there's a couple things you can do. Lean back and try to get your spikes in the tree. Leaning back will tighten the lanyard against the tree and slow you down. The other is go forward and grab the tree. Evidentially this young man just had his safety too loose and he made no attempt to do anything. They said his lanyard was loose and never grabbed the tree on his way down.

mikejd

Praying for your friend.

This also goes for all of us when we are trimming around our tree stands. Make sure you cut them flush with the ground.