turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wad Stripping Chokes

Started by donjuan, June 09, 2013, 06:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

Could someone explain to me how exactly stripping the wad will make for a better pattern?  I know that's what many companies claim (ie Patternmaster, Kicks, Wad Wizard, etc), but how can that little piece of plastic be so detrimental to a pattern if it is not shredded by ports, knives, rifling, or some other groove?
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Skeeterbait

Slowing the wad allows the shot to move on out ahead of it and fly thru clean air.  Without this, the wad travels with the shot inside the cup for several feet.  Then the petals of the wad begin to peel back from the air pressure.  If the shot is still between the petals as this occurs, it can cause air disturbances around the shot displacing them in flight.  The wad can also tumble in flight at this time actually coming into contact with the shot displacing them in flight.  This is especially true of the shot cups used with HTL shot.  In order to protect the barrel from the hard shot, thick tough shot cups are used which take longer to peel back and can cause more disturbance of the shot.

SumToy

Quote from: Skeeterbait on June 09, 2013, 07:49:06 PM
Slowing the wad allows the shot to move on out ahead of it and fly thru clean air.  Without this, the wad travels with the shot inside the cup for several feet.  Then the petals of the wad begin to peel back from the air pressure.  If the shot is still between the petals as this occurs, it can cause air disturbances around the shot displacing them in flight.  The wad can also tumble in flight at this time actually coming into contact with the shot displacing them in flight.  This is especially true of the shot cups used with HTL shot.  In order to protect the barrel from the hard shot, thick tough shot cups are used which take longer to peel back and can cause more disturbance of the shot.

What he said. Plus to keep the wad from blow the center out the pattern.. It will bump the shot column  and you will get the donut looking pattern..
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

owlhoot

So how does the choke do this?
Like difference between your rem 562-3  and 562-5 ?
Hope not stealing your good thread, this is interesting stuff.

SumToy

Quote from: owlhoot on June 10, 2013, 12:24:21 AM
So how does the choke do this?
Like difference between your rem 562-3  and 562-5 ?
Hope not stealing your good thread, this is interesting stuff.

The difference in the Internal lay out of the choke is the deal with the 3 or 5.   One is a 3 stop then other is a 5.   We have a choke for about every shell out.  When we work with a choke or shell we cut the shell open.  We look at all the stuff on the inside and then start with a choke.  Then you can move stuff around on the inside and change the way the choke will shoot.  You can lay a choke out for cold temps, hot temps and can do one just for the rain.  Now that is more in the target side but it can be did with hunting guns.  A lot more goes into a choke then just drilling holes in it to stop the wad.  You change the size more then around .010 you change the internal lay out of the tapper.   

Now I will give you one more. You can have a choke that is smoking the card then go and take a 1/8 inch off the parallel of the choke.  You will need to change the tapper after you do that.  This is why most choke have holes and not steps.   Two chokes that are on market now are spin offs of other stuff.  One of a WBBB choke the other is of the 1st Kicks.   The 1st run of Kicks had steps in them.   

A lot of time is put into the chokes to get what works.  We have tried to figure what works the best for the hunting world as a normal run choke.  Now you can get wild and just play with them to get numbers if you have the time and money.  We have had TSS guns go over 400.  20ga go 380 to 390.  One 835 with Nitro go 364. Time and money is the big deal when it comes to a good gun, a great gun and a awesome gun.  That is why we ask "How Dead You Want Them" LOL 

Now you can play with number of steps, size of steps, distance between steps, angle of step or angle between them.  Look at it this way.  In a car you want to stop fast and keep under control.   Do you hit brakes hard then let up.  Do you hit them easy then jump on hard at end.  Do you apply same amount the complete time.  Now that was dry roads(HV13) if the road is wet (Winchester shells) If it has ice (Federal shell).  It all changes with the road/shell.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

donjuan

Very interesting.  Thanks for your replies
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

donjuan

So do you make a choke you would recommend for goose hunting with federal heavyweight 2s? I have a pretty good stash of them but would want a good choke for 3 inch kent or federal steel bb out of my benelli m2 26 inch barrel. Using the factory modified is a hair tight with the heavyweight and was leaning toward IC or LM. Your thoughts?

SumToy

I run a .005 (sk) or .015 (LM) with most all.  The Heavy stuff is bad out a LM.  Most folks over choke the gun.  They miss and think the pattern opened up.  They don't understand that with the steel the lead is different for the steel.  Most of the time if they put it on paper it will show it will kill they just shoot behind a lot of the birds. 

I keep a LM in mine and shoot small light loads for the in your face stuff.  Then step up to the bigger shot and loads for longer stuff. 

Now I think everybody should have a shoe box full of chokes but only shoot one. LOL  :toothy9: