OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Relocating to Montana.... Any advice????

Started by rtsj, June 07, 2013, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsj

Well guys I'm finally doing it. Packing up the wife and kids and fulfilling a life long dream. Been out west a half dozen times or so and its like i long to go back. Never stop thinking about it.  Its now or never. Thinking about the Kalispell area as it is the hotbed for machinists. Lots of gun manufactures.  Got 5 job interviews already so landing a job seems pretty easy but the housing market scares me. Very very expensive!!! That's my only concern.  Anyway just wanted to see if anyone made the move and how it was? Thanks for any and all advise.

Thanks Roy Schmidt

owlhoot

congrats,
brother moved to Colorado 7 years ago.  Loves it. cant hardly get him to cross the ike tunnel now.
Calls me flat-lander,lol.
enjoy and best of luck.
Thanks for the machinist tip, i am one too. CNC type.

Doug

We packed up and moved from PA to Idaho over 10 years ago.  I had already been hired though.  I'd say rent a place for awhile until you can find the right place to buy.

I had lived out here for a few years then moved back to PA.  Almost immediately, I felt hemmed in.  I missed all of the wide open spaces and public land.  I started looking to get back out west and finally landed a job.

My wife, being a city girl, had a rough time of it at first.  We didn't live in Boise at first and some of these small western towns are isolated and pretty much roll up their streets at 5 pm.  It was stressful until she started working on her degree and built a friend network.  Hopefully you don't run into that issue.

Best of luck with your move.

spaightlabs

magnoliagamecalls

vaturkey

Good luck Roy to you & your family !  Have a safe trip !   :icon_thumright:

vaturkey   :newmascot:

Vaturkey

hobbes

I moved from IL to CO back in 2006 then moved to Helena, MT from CO in 2011.  I travel most of the state and spent some time in Kalispell the last couple weeks.  Its a beautiful part of the state.  I think real estate is a little more expensive there than Helena, but for the most part, everything in the West is more expensive than Southern IL where I came from.  Its still cheaper than living near a CO ski resort.

I'll be in the area several times this summer because of a couple projects that are in the Whitefish and Libby areas.  A friend of mine in CO has inlaws near Kalispell and plans to move there within the next few years. 

Send me a PM if your looking for more specific info that I may have.

sixbird

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase