Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got my turkey back from Hazel Creek Taxidermy!

Started by busta biggun, June 06, 2013, 10:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

sixbird

Gorgeous!!! I've shot quite a few that were worthy of mounting but just haven't pulled the trigger so to speak...I keep saying the first 12 incher, but they're hard to come by...

busta biggun

Quote from: sixbird on June 10, 2013, 06:13:56 PM
Gorgeous!!! I've shot quite a few that were worthy of mounting but just haven't pulled the trigger so to speak...I keep saying the first 12 incher, but they're hard to come by...

You know I have shot a lot of birds over the years that had a 12 inch beard, but the spurs were only 1/2 inch so I passed. Then i shot a couple birds with 1 1/2 hooks with 10 inch beards. I finally decided to get this one done because of the memories of the hunt. I went after him for three solid days and finally figured out how to outsmart that guy. His beard is around 11 inches, which is nice, but i have shot many birds with longer beards. His spurs were all worn off so no biggie there. But I just love looking at that guy. Just a smart old bird that gave me fits. I think guys sometimes wait for that "bird of a lifetime" to get mounted and the truth is, any well preserved bird is an awesome trophy to look at.

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

ShotGunSniper

Now that is the pose I want for when I finally get one mounted. Im speachless about how well it look's. It is amazing.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

Cove

Absolutely amazing! I've got one at the taxidermist now. I've waited this long to get one mounted solely due to wanting a perfect mount which in my opinion exists only in the hands of Cally and maybe one other. After drooling over Cally's work at Grand Nationals every year his work is what I judged everyone else's against- its been impossible to find anything comparable. I hope when I get my bird back in a few months I wont be too disappointed but i'm afraid I will be. . . . if so, i'll sent the next to Cally and just be broke. Get what you pay for.

busta biggun

Amen Cove. Cally is NOT cheap, probably double what most guys charge. Even his brothers. But I figure you are looking at this thing almost every day for the rest of your life so why not go ahead and do it right?!

ncturkey

Cally and the boys at Hazel Creek do a awesome job. It looks perfect.

WiLL B

sixbird

Quote from: busta biggun on June 10, 2013, 08:22:19 PM
Quote from: sixbird on June 10, 2013, 06:13:56 PM

You know I have shot a lot of birds over the years that had a 12 inch beard, but the spurs were only 1/2 inch so I passed. Then i shot a couple birds with 1 1/2 hooks with 10 inch beards. I finally decided to get this one done because of the memories of the hunt. I went after him for three solid days and finally figured out how to outsmart that guy. His beard is around 11 inches, which is nice, but i have shot many birds with longer beards. His spurs were all worn off so no biggie there. But I just love looking at that guy. Just a smart old bird that gave me fits. I think guys sometimes wait for that "bird of a lifetime" to get mounted and the truth is, any well preserved bird is an awesome trophy to look at.

I'm beginning to think the same way...The first bird I shot was a twelve and a little more. He had three beards. I was young and couldn't justify the cost (that and I didn't know what I had)...Since then, I've killed a ton of 10 inchers with good spurs (one inch plus) but that twelve has eluded me. They're RARE here...
I'm thinking I should lower my expectations a notch or so and maybe make the criteria a challenging hunt like you did...
Man, I want to hunt where you do! :^)

flintlock

If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

savduck

Looks great. Toning down the red really brings it to life. I agree many put to much red on the head
Georgia Boy