OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Still cant decide (finally made a decision)

Started by huntmaster80, June 03, 2013, 07:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntmaster80

Well I am ready to buy a new gun, I am about 99% sure I am going with a Benelli M2.  Now for the part I cant decide on............... 12ga or 20ga??????  The help that I am looking for is some experience on how much range I will loose with the 20ga.  I do not reload, so TSS shot is out of the question for me, I will have to go with Fed. or Hevi shot. Thanks in advance for the help!!

CrustyRusty

I'd go 20 ga..you can always buy a less expensive 12 ga for the times you need one but youll probably use the 20 most of the time

vaturkey

I've hunted with a 12 ga for a long time up until this year. I bought a Benelli M2 20 ga & I'm here to tell ya that with the right choke & load it will kill just as good as a 12 ga up to distances that we're not allowed to talk about on this forum. Don't know if I will turkey hunt with a 12 again.

vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

remmy1187

I used just my 20 gauge this year due to shoulder problems and I wont be using the 12 much any more.  With the Hevi shot and Federal loads and the right choke combination you will not be giving up any range to the 12 gauge.  My choice would without a doubt be the 20 gauge, but that is a decision only you should make.   Good luck with your decision.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: vaturkey on June 03, 2013, 07:56:36 PM

I've hunted with a 12 ga for a long time up until this year. I bought a Benelli M2 20 ga & I'm here to tell ya that with the right choke & load it will kill just as good as a 12 ga up to distances that we're not allowed to talk about on this forum. Don't know if I will turkey hunt with a 12 again.

Same way here. Hunted every day with the 20 m2 and will probably retire the 12 from here on out

allaboutshooting

Quote from: huntmaster80 on June 03, 2013, 07:21:37 PM
Well I am ready to buy a new gun, I am about 99% sure I am going with a Benelli M2.  Now for the part I cant decide on............... 12ga or 20ga??????  The help that I am looking for is some experience on how much range I will loose with the 20ga.  I do not reload, so TSS shot is out of the question for me, I will have to go with Fed. or Hevi shot. Thanks in advance for the help!!

If your decision is based strictly on range, you'll remember that a #6 shot launched at 1100 f.p.s. will go just as far from a 20 gauge gun as from a 12 gauge gun. The only difference is in the shot payload which will be larger from a typical 12 gauge turkey load than from a typical 20 gauge turkey load.

Based upon my sales of turkey chokes for the last 2 years, I see a real trend toward 20 gauge turkey guns. I believe that has been inspired by a number of factors but the performance of #6 and #7 tungsten-based shot has really allowed hunters to see how effective a 20 can be.

Remington and Mossberg 20s have led the pack by far but everyone I know who has a Benelli M-1 or M-2 is delighted with its performance and would not consider another gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

huntmaster80

Thanks for the answers fellas!! I think I am going to listen to everyone and go with a 20ga.  With as many people saying that they love their M2s, I dont think I will be making a mistake.  The 20 will be nice and light, plus my wife might feel a little more comfortable using it since it shoots " the little yellow ones". 

I now have to decide between the 24" or 26" barrel, but I think its gona be the 26".  Any suggestions for a choke / shell combo to try out once I get it?

mossyoakpro

I don't believe the M2 comes in a 24" barrel but I could be wrong...as far as choke/ammo choice...Sumtoy Custom choke tube with Federal HW #7's are the way to go.

Check the 20 gauge forum for some other combo's that people are shooting....Best of luck to you!!!
Phillippians 4:13

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

huntmaster80

Well I got the 20 with a 26" barrel. Now I need to start thinking about chokes. I'm gona take it to the range tomorrow and run some heavy game loads through it to break it in. Is there anyone that reloads TSS and sells them? All the good that I read about it, I would love to try some.

WV Ridge Reaper

Good choice with the 20 gauge.I would recommend Rob Roberts for you choke.He is the man for the Benelli's

hookedspur

Quote from: turkey_slayer on June 03, 2013, 08:57:59 PM
Quote from: vaturkey on June 03, 2013, 07:56:36 PM

Same way here. Hunted every day with the 20 m2 and will probably retire the 12 from here on out

Me 2  ;D
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

hookedspur

555 Indian Creek TSS 7
                          Nitro 7
                          H-13  7

and KILL them turkeys  :newmascot: :newmascot: :newmascot:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

R AJ

Quote from: huntmaster80 on June 07, 2013, 07:49:42 PM
Well I got the 20 with a 26" barrel. Now I need to start thinking about chokes. I'm gona take it to the range tomorrow and run some heavy game loads through it to break it in. Is there anyone that reloads TSS and sells them? All the good that I read about it, I would love to try some.

It is not necessary to go the TSS route at all. Spend you $s on Hevi-13 and Fed HW in #7 shot and you can be very confident of the "killability" of that set up.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: huntmaster80 on June 07, 2013, 07:49:42 PM

Congratulations. I think you made an excellent choice. I would recommend that you "deep clean" the bore just to get things started right.

You have a wide choice of chokes that will work well with that gun. I'd recommend that you give the 3" Hevi-13 shells with 1.25 oz. of #6 or #7 shot a try. They both work exceptionally well and are widely available.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."