OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

In the market for a new climber

Started by seb5315, June 03, 2013, 02:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

Lone wolf alpha hand climber.  #17, folds flat, and has a bow holder casted in which will save even more weight.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

bowmike

Just got back into climbing last year after a near death experience. I was very shaking about climbing again.

I got a summit blade sd. It is very similar to the viper but it collapses. This is perfect for me because i have a dodge neon and i can collapse the stand and put in in my back seat. I am 6'2-220 and i fit fine in this. The rails are angled for ease of using this stand with a bow. I never hit my bow off of the stand but I am shooting a 29.5" ata bow.

The sd line is very light but grips a tree very nice. Summit has the best waranty on the market. I ordered 2 of their bags and had the zippers fail due to my over stuffing them. I sent an inquiry to see if they could repair them. Well they are sending me brand new bags instead for free.

IMO you cant beat a summit, easy to climb, light, and very sturdy. I like the collapsable model but the viper has probably had more deer shot from it than any other stand. The SD i belive stands for sound dampening. THey put some sort of foam on the inside for noise reduction.

Before buying a viper I would makesure it is the viper sd and not the steel version. They are 6 pounds lighter and are more quiet.

My vote is summit no matter what. I  think they came up with a newer stand for bowhunting that weighs 16 pounds. If you hunt public land PA like I do you know you have to hike deep to get where the deer are and every pound you can shed is worth it.

Gooserbat

They don't fold flat and they a a bit "bibger" stand when your packing one in and out but give Treewalker a look.  I've used one for the past couple of years and love it.  They are light too. mine weighs around 17 lbs I think.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

budtripp

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 03, 2013, 11:29:01 PM
Lone wolf assault with 4 lone wolf climbing sticks.

We've got 5 vipers, 10 gorilla hang-ons, 4 API alumi-lok hang ons, several loc-ons, and 5 lone wolfs.

For bowhunting, the versatility offered by a hang-on far exceeds the utility of a climber.  Our lone wolfs get hunted 10x more than any other stand.  With lone wolfs, I get the silence of a climber, the security and sturdy grip on the tree of a climber, but I don't ever have to hunt for a tree that will accommodate my stand.  With the offset batwing for crooked trees and platform leveler, I can get into almost any tree.

X2 the lone wolf alpha hang on with a set of their climbing sticks is way more versatile than a climber. Always seems as though the best tree in a funnel or other hotspot is always a gnarly, leaning, twisting thing that a climber can't be used on. With that said, for climbing stands summit is where its at, If you have lots of straight, limbless trees in your area.

Onpoint

Get ya a set of spikes and a saddle, kick up the tree, throw ya a rope around the tree, tie in and kick back...jk,
Im a climber for a tree service an ive found that leanin back in that saddle is more comfortable than than quite a few of my stands. Never hunted out of it before but I suspect I will spend some time in it this fall...
That aside, can't go wrong with summit.

30_06

For a climber a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb or Hand Climber is tough to beat.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

seb5315

How are the summit stands for climbing on smooth barked trees. I've heard mix opinions on that..

TrackeySauresRex

I like the summit as well. The open shot if your a bow hunter. I don't know what model mine is,it's an open model. I've  had it for a few years with no complaints. Quiet and comfort.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

30_06

Quote from: seb5315 on June 05, 2013, 10:12:34 PM
How are the summit stands for climbing on smooth barked trees. I've heard mix opinions on that..

My Viper slipped a few times so I traded it towards a Lone Wolf Sit and Climb.

Rockhound

Saylfish

IAFF 1377

pcgobbler

Summit 180.  Love it.  Allows you to face the tree for gun hunting.

bowmike

Quote from: pcgobbler on June 08, 2013, 10:30:41 AM
Summit 180.  Love it.  Allows you to face the tree for gun hunting.

This stand is extremely comfy and easy to climb, not sure how it would be for archery.

I have slipped in my summit but you find the right tree for the job. I also did a mid climb adjustment and it was fine. nothing that would deter me from buying one though.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: seb5315 on June 05, 2013, 10:12:34 PM
Better than some of the others I've used. I still steer clear if I can.