turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

In the market for a new climber

Started by seb5315, June 03, 2013, 02:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seb5315

Welp I guess since turkey season has finally came to a close here in PA, it's time to switch gears a little.  I'm in the market to buy a new climbing treestand this summer and wanted to get everyone's opinion.  I've hunted with my API for years and love it, but I want to upgrade to something that doesn't weigh as much and folds up flat.  I've looked at the API Crusader which only weights 22lbs; has anyone used this stand before?

Thanks for any suggestions!

lightsoutcalls

Don't bother looking at the Ol' Man stands.  I had one of the Ol'Man CTS Grand climbers and used it twice.  It started creaking with any movement after only 2 climbs.  The "sling" seat was stretched so tight you could barely move it on the frame.  I have switched to Muddy Hunter hang on stands and rapid rail climbing ladder sections. 

I finally have access to private land and leave my hang on stands with a cable and lock attaching them. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Okiehntr12

Check out the older summit vipers. You can find them marked way down if you look hard enough.

Deputy 14

Check out Timbertall stands. Unbelievable light and super solid on the tree.

DirtNap647

Rokhal07

Ive got a summit viper a few yrs old and wouldnt trade it for a new climber of any other brand

turkeyfeathers

have used my Summit Viper for a few years myself. I've dark to darked it many a days in it. I'd rather sit in it than my permanent stands. You won't be disappointed in it

renegade19

Quote from: Okiehntr12 on June 03, 2013, 02:28:26 PM
Check out the older summit vipers. You can find them marked way down if you look hard enough.
[/quote

This!

seb5315

Thanks for the resonses so far everyone!  I also wanted to mention that this will be used for bow hunting only 99% of the time.  Didn't know if that would change anyones opinion or not.

Thanks!

albrubacker

I have an older Lone Wolf that I really like. And hear only good things about the newer ones.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

CrustyRusty

Timbertall...and made right in PA!!!

wvcurlytop

Quote from: seb5315 on June 03, 2013, 04:08:45 PM
Thanks for the resonses so far everyone!  I also wanted to mention that this will be used for bow hunting only 99% of the time.  Didn't know if that would change anyones opinion or not.

Thanks!
Mine is used for bowhunting 100% of the time, and I still wouldn't trade my summit for any other brand out there.  I've used a few others, but only on a trial basis.  Buy a summit and you'll own the best as far as climbers go! 

bigbird

You can't really go wrong with a summit

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Lone wolf assault with 4 lone wolf climbing sticks.

We've got 5 vipers, 10 gorilla hang-ons, 4 API alumi-lok hang ons, several loc-ons, and 5 lone wolfs.

For bowhunting, the versatility offered by a hang-on far exceeds the utility of a climber.  Our lone wolfs get hunted 10x more than any other stand.  With lone wolfs, I get the silence of a climber, the security and sturdy grip on the tree of a climber, but I don't ever have to hunt for a tree that will accommodate my stand.  With the offset batwing for crooked trees and platform leveler, I can get into almost any tree.

trkycaller