turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Phone: iPhone4 or Droid?

Started by mmusso, March 09, 2011, 02:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

I dumped the Droid and went to the iPhone last week and couldn't be happier. 

Don't get me wrong, the Droid OS is cool.  You can do a lot of stuff with it, but I am much more content with the iPhone
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

mmusso

After reading a ton of reviews in addition to the comments here, I think I'll be giving an Android phone a go. Now I'm trying to decide X or Incredible. I like the features of the X, but can't imagine toting a laptop-sized phone everywhere.

Singlebarrel

Quote from: mmusso on March 09, 2011, 05:52:04 PM
After reading a ton of reviews in addition to the comments here, I think I'll be giving an Android phone a go. Now I'm trying to decide X or Incredible. I like the features of the X, but can't imagine toting a laptop-sized phone everywhere.

You might want to read some reviews on the Incredible's battery life.  Not an issue for some, but I could never get more than half a day out of mine.

I was concerned about the size of the X at first too.  I couldn't see how anyone would want to carry around something that big.  But honestly after using it for a few days, it just works so good you totally forget about it being big.  The big screen is awesome for using the web + it is just about the only touch-screen phone that I have been able get my fat fingers to type on!

Either way, on VZW you should have 14 days to try one.  So if you get 1 & don't like it, take it back & try the other!

mmusso

I did see that the battery life was an issue really with all of them, but I'm usually around a charger unless I'm in the woods, but I can charge it in the truck...

lmbhngr

Isn`t the I-phone having a problem with dropping calls due to the design of their antenna?

TurkeyPotpie

The Evo and the Droid X are essentially the same phone.

You get used to it quick and then it dont seem so big.

I actually wish my phone was bigger as it's the older you get so do your eyes type thing with me.

They also make higher capacity batteries for them too, if that becomes an issue.

cfrye11

Quote from: lmbhngr on March 09, 2011, 08:19:04 PM
Isn`t the I-phone having a problem with dropping calls due to the design of their antenna?
:welcomeOG:

the reports I saw said the Iphone 4 has the same issues on verizon as it does on Att - if you wrap your hand tightly around the outside edge you lose bars.  this seems to be a defect in the placement and size of the antenna.

Timmer

I'll give you a cautious thumbs up on an Android.  Do your homework.  Be sure to check the amount of memory, as some phones aren't that great.  And, one major warning to you, two different brand Androids, with the same exact version of Android (and I'm not just talking about the top level version, but the numbers after the period as in 2.1xxxx), will have different features from one brand to the next.  It's part of the very open operating system business model Google has pursued.  I bought an LG Ally thinking one Android is the same as another.  My coworkers had a number of features on their alternate brand phones that mine didn't.  They were mostly menu choices and options within the same programs.  I was thrilled when LG/Verizon provided an update, which covered about 50% of the differences, but now my Ally doesn't have enough memory to support the new operating system and it's slow, locks up, etc.  My wife and I bought the same one at the same time and they are both behaving the same since the upgrade.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Gobble!

Nimrodmar10

Droid, Verizon and Motorola. I had the original Motorola Droid and then the Motorola Droid X.  I'm a big believer in the Motorola hardware. If you need the phone now get the Droid X. If you can wiat a month or so wait and get the Motorola Droid Bionic. All the same features as the X but 4G and has a dual core processor, 1/2 gig memory, HD Video, etc. Bull of a phone.

dodger

I had a Iphone... Never again and now I have a galaxy-s droid...  Way better phone, the iphone you have to pay for everything... Most of the apps for the droid are free... And AT&T sucks...

CASH

Quote from: lmbhngr on March 09, 2011, 08:19:04 PM

Not mine
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

mmusso

When I had the iPhone 3G before on AT&T I liked it, but now we are on Verizon, so since the Droid is "their" phone, I'll probably just go that route. I can't wait on the new Bionic to come out - my BB is damn near dead, so it looks like I'll be trying the X. Thanks for all of your input.
Matt