turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One of my more rewarding birds

Started by Cutt, June 02, 2013, 10:12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

I'm sure most have taken a bird that stands out as one of your most accomplished. Then again all are rewarding in a way, as I strictly hunt Gamelands in PA, but one of my birds this year gave me a great sense of accomplishment.

I guess being the next to last day, on Gamelands makes it special too. But this bird I had messed with many times to no avail, until it finally came together Thursday morning at 9:50. I became obsessed with this bird and began to wonder if I was wasting my time on him? It got to the point I actually could of bushwhacked him with no calling, but I don't take free birds, just not my style, as I always said the day they don't gobble, I'll quit. Just don't care to hunt birds like deer, out of a blind or with decoys, just sitting against a tree, one on one.

My first sets were in the woods bordering a field as I would get this bird to respond but he always came to a certain point on the other side about 150 yards away and hold his ground. After several sits here I realized I'd have to kill him in the other corner. Once walking and exploring around the field it became very apparent to me why. Many others have hunted this spot close by as, I found a bucket with trampled ground around it and a couple trees with cigarette butts all around.

Move ahead the next two hunts I setup where he would hold up, as now he wouldn't even come there, nothing the one day, and the other circled way around. Gameplan two, found me back in the far corner as I watched 4 hens and chatted with them, and finally around 9:00, he started hitting our calling pretty good. Now was the time to make my way to where he stood his ground  when calling from here. I cut the distance in half, fearing he might crest the hill before I get there, so I gave another call, and he responded closer but still below the crest, which gave me enough time to get in his corner. Once there I gave a final call, and dead silence for 20 minutes. I'm thinking he eluded me once again, but then Gobble!, 80 yards to my left, in the adjacent field, as he circled some, then finally did come sneaking into the corner of the woods looking for me from the left of where i expected him, and it was over.

It was an extra sense of accomplishment after messing with this bird a lot and knowing many others had too, and killing him on the next to last day. I knew the bird was going to be a pretty good one after hunting him, as he had decent hooks, I'd say at least 4 years old or older, and very educated on Gamelands, one I'll never forget. Not very good pics as I was pressed for time to get to work.

kansas hooks

Congrats on a great bird and hunt!

Punisher

Those are my favorite turkeys to harvest.  There is nothing like taking a turkey that has been pressured and knowing you were the successful hunter that killed him.  A BIG Congrats on a great gobbler!

trkycaller

DirtNap647

DUCKDIGGLER

Nice work Brother! A super accomplishment on one heck of a toad! Congrats! :OGani:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tomstopper

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

T-town

RutnNStrutn

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

captin_hook

Congrats. Pa public land birds can be very tough!

WildSpur

Great job! 

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

beagler

Never Misses