OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How often do you replace your mouth calls?

Started by bornagain64, March 09, 2011, 02:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

I was wondering how long a mouth call would last?
I know some guys store them in there refrigerator after the season and use them the next.
The reason I ask is I have been practicing alot and the call sounds different. Not better not worse, more raspy or deeper sounding. 
Is it possible I have stretched the reeds out and changed the pitch?
These are hooks mouth calls not some cheapo. I love my hooks calls and they sound awesome, just wondering if I should order another 1 before my season starts?
How often do you replace yours and how do you take care of them?
How many of you bend them or cut some tape?

I know that is a mouth full, no pun intended. Thanks John

Nimrodmar10

It all depends on the call. I toss them when the latex loses too much of its tension and gets sloppy. The latex is definitely getting better though. My call usually just stay in my vest during the off season and I only tossed 3 out of 7 from last year.

Timber Chicken

Probably not a good one to ask. here is a picture of my favorite call next to a new one.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sodfather

That one on the left looks like a big ol chew stained call

Timber Chicken

stinkpickle

I usually break-in new ones every spring.  By the time they make it through the spring seasons, get stored for the summer, and then used again in the fall, they're just about toast.

deerhunt1988

Pretty much every year...I will keep them in a fridge and even separate the reeds, but they still don't sound like they did new for me.

longspur

Yea, coffee will do that too. lol. usually I use mine about 2 seasons. I think I have used some of them three and I'm sure I've tossed some after one. Also tossed countless ones before I ever used them. I guess if I bought custom calls that wouldn't happen.

paintbrush

I get new ones every spring.  I toss any used old ones after my seasons are over with.

jwhunter

i get new ones every year but i still use some ive had for 3 or 4 years

Basser69

Quote from: jwhunter on March 09, 2011, 03:45:52 PM
i get new ones every year but i still use some ive had for 3 or 4 years

busta biggun

Every spring I throw away all of my old ones and get new ones. They are usually pretty worn out by the end of the season anyway since i only use 2-3 different calls during a season. I pick the ones I like and stick with them.

jshively

Quote from: busta biggun on March 09, 2011, 03:54:08 PM
Every spring I throw away all of my old ones and get new ones. They are usually pretty worn out by the end of the season anyway since i only use 2-3 different calls during a season. I pick the ones I like and stick with them.
:agreed:

hoyt

I get about 5yrs out of most of them...some more..I freeze them in a small container of water during the off season. I have had some that blow out in less than a yr. Don't buy that brand anymore. I always buy a few new ones every yr anyway just to try them out.

magicman