North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's Your Mainstay Call Type

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 09, 2011, 02:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Not concerned with brands but what type call do you use the majority of the time?

Mouth Diaphragm
Friction Pot Call (Slate, Glass, etc.
Box Call (with attached lid)
Tube Call
Wingbone Call
Other (Please explain)

chatterbox

I'm practicing alot with my mouth calls, because it is my weakest. If I pull out a call I have 100% faith in, it would be my glass pot.
I want to get to the point where I can use my mouth call 100% of the time and be confident in it.

LX_Trkyhntr

I run a diaphragm call probably 85-90 % of the time, then would come a pot style call, I seldom use a box.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

swampy

I believe that most any bird can be killed with a mouth call but it wouldn't be nearly as fun sticking a couple in your pocket and using them alone all year. Mouth call is my pick but i'll usually use the glass call first off in the morning and a box call for locating later in the day just for fun.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

magicman

Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on March 09, 2011, 04:32:23 PM
I run a diaphragm call probably 85-90 % of the time, then would come a pot style call, I seldom use a box.

:icon_thumright:

njdevilsb

Diaphragm.  I rarely use other types, but I always have a slate and a box call on me.

Stoner

I mix it up, I normally start with a box call and switch to a slate friction call. I go back and forth, depending how the birds are reacting.

StruttinGobbler3

My go to call is a diaphragm, and I locate later in the morning with a box call. However, I intend to mix it up a little this year with my new Lightsout slate. Never hurts to have a variety of calls riding in your vest, never know which particular sound the birds will like that day.
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

PANYHunter

I usually do the same as you nimrod.  Sometimes I will use a box but mostly stick with a pot and diaphragm.

camp man

Slate for me unlees it is raining and then I go to glass. I use a diaphragm when they get closer...

savduck

Mouth call. I do love my pots though. A mouth call will do everything all the time if you know how to run them.
Georgia Boy

turkey slayer

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

birdman24

I mix it up a good deal.  Glass pot for early morning tree yelping and purring, as well as the diaphragm.  Since I do most of my hunting these days out west on big tracks of land, I routinely use the box call to cut into the wind and cover big areas with the volume.  When it comes right down to it though, the diaphragm is my mainstay due to the versatility.  Oh yeah, the wingbone is my wild card when the situation just needs something different.  It always adds something special when I use the homemade wingbone.   

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

dodger