turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

With 2hrs & 18mins left…

Started by MKMGOBL, May 31, 2013, 05:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MKMGOBL

...in the NH 2013 turkey season, my buddy rocks a birds noggin! I took my buddy out for one last go at it for a few hour while my boys were in school. So after I dropped them at school, we meet up around 8:05 to see if I still had any sweet talking hen sounds left in my mouth call case. We got set up on a top field and my plan was not to call until we heard something. Well those that know me know that kind of plan will never work for me ::) I'm too much hands on calling and can't just camping out waiting. So it took maybe 8 minutes for me to start ripping out a few yelps. Nothing responded in front of us to our left or behind us so we just sat there keeping cool tucked up under the shade of a tree in the stonewall. I threw out soft calls every 20 minutes or so in hopes of getting a rise out of something but it was looking pretty sad.

Then around 9am or shortly after I heard a hen to our left in the woods. I called to her and she answer but very soft. We went back and forth for about 10 minutes and then she went silent. At 9:30 I told my buddy lets get out of here! I know another place we can hit so he agreed saying, you're in charge, I'll go where every you say. Before we leave though I want to hit the box call first just to see if something will respond.

I hit the box call and BAMMMM! He gobbled about 60yds to our left in the woods where the hen was yaking to me. Change of plans buddy! If he comes in he'll be right there and probably silent so be watching. A few very soft yelps and clucks later....nothing. A few more....still nothing. Then my buddy said to me, there he is...he just stepped out. I was looking hard but couldn't see him! I asked Dan, are you sure? He said yep....right to your left about 15yds. WHAT :o 15yds ??? I still couldn't see him! I whispered over to Dan, are you sure it's a gobbler? Yep!

I soft yelped and clucked again and before I could finish my second cluck.....BAMMMM! Dan lets his Ruger over and under 20ga roar. Gobbler down 20yds away at 9:43 baby :z-guntootsmiley:  Now that's how you git-r-done in the last hour :icon_thumright:

He's not a very big gobbler but my buddy doesn't care. He just wanted to experience of a good hunt and I think I delivered.

16lb
double bearded bird with both being 2"
3/4" spur

I'm so glad we got it done after making the walk up the hill through some real nasty boggy bottom mosquito infested briar thick crap...in full gear and in this heat worth the effort. It was worth it getting my buddy that really is not a turkey hunter and because of his back issue, doesn't get out much at all. Then there's another thing about todays hunt, my son first gobbler mount is now FREE!! You see my buddy is my taxidermist :happy0064:

God I love turkey hunting! Its soooo freaking satisfying when you can it make it happen this late in the year especially on a piece that gets a lot of pressured on it.
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

TRKYHTR

Congrats on a last minute great hunt. the turkey looks like a gobbler. Looks like he has a full fan and the wing patch looks like an adult. What kind of spurs did he have?

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

nystrut

MKMGOBL

Quote from: MKMGOBL on May 31, 2013, 05:13:50 PM
16lb
double bearded bird with both being 2"
3/4" spurs

He was a mature gobbler. The beard rot or something got to his beard. As for his weight, it's probably because he's been real busy with the ladies ;D There were a lot of hens running this piece in April. I wish I could exorcise like that :TooFunny:

"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quotereal nasty boggy bottom mosquito infested briar thick crap
Now that's a descriptive phrase .... :D

Nice way to end the season.

Gold Spur

Congrats on a awesome season!  :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

DirtNap647

trkycaller

WildSpur

Way to go!