OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Armadillos

Started by catman529, May 27, 2013, 04:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Is it true that they eat turkey eggs? Either way I shoot em when I can. I walked up on 3 while squirrel hunting 2 days ago, and only one escaped.

turkeyfeathers

grinners on the half shell. They are scroungers so I'm sure they do eat turkey eggs

ccleroy

Yes they are nest raiders. Kill em' all

DirtNap647

jblackburn

One more reason to shoot them! Good job!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

bigdoc

I saw my first one in middle Tn. a few months ago, I have heard they were some around but sure was depressing to see a huge one. :angry9:

Tail Feathers

Egg eaters for sure. 
Love the Model 60.... :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

renegade19

Quote from: bigdoc on May 27, 2013, 08:56:40 PM
I saw my first one in middle Tn. a few months ago, I have heard they were some around but sure was depressing to see a huge one. :angry9:
We got em in Southen Illinois too.  I've seen several dead ones on the road and my buddy caught one in a leg trap year.

Onpoint

I I live in western ky andy last summer my mom said there was a dead one on the road by her house. I didn't believe it until she went back and took a picture of him.

RutnNStrutn

Tons of them in FLA & SC where I hunt.

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Onpoint on May 27, 2013, 10:42:25 PM
I I live in western ky andy last summer my mom said there was a dead one on the road by her house. I didn't believe it until she went back and took a picture of him.

We have them out the wazoo in AR.  It sounds funny to hear of someone taking a picture of an armadillo since we have so many.  They aren't the brightest, most alert creatures.  I have kicked them before while hunting.  They would be so intent on finding bugs in dead bark and leaves that they didn't even notice me sneaking up on them. 
While hunting in OK this spring, we saw probably 8-10 of them.  Didn't want to waste high dollar hevi-shot rounds on them.  We did end up rolling one with the brush guard on the Range Rover the landowner let us drive.  I also rolled one on the dirt road getting back out to the interstate from where we hunted. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

longspur

I live in NE Ga. and they are only recently showing up here. You can hunt squrrels in may?

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: lightsoutcalls on May 28, 2013, 09:44:32 AM
Quote from: Onpoint on May 27, 2013, 10:42:25 PM

We have them out the wazoo in AR.  It sounds funny to hear of someone taking a picture of an armadillo since we have so many.  They aren't the brightest, most alert creatures.  I have kicked them before while hunting.  They would be so intent on finding bugs in dead bark and leaves that they didn't even notice me sneaking up on them. 
While hunting in OK this spring, we saw probably 8-10 of them.  Didn't want to waste high dollar hevi-shot rounds on them.  We did end up rolling one with the brush guard on the Range Rover the landowner let us drive.  I also rolled one on the dirt road getting back out to the interstate from where we hunted.

I was thinking the same thing.  We could start a lucrative business shipping these cuddly creatures across the country!!! 

Let me tell you what's fun....shooting them with a bow.  Get bored while deer hunting and the stalk is on.  Nest raiders and will tear a yard up rooting around.  On a serious note, I have always heard and read articles that armadillos can transmit leprosy, so if you must handle, handle cautiously and wash well afterwards.  Some folks even eat them, but no thanks for me.

Gooserbat

hunted Western OK with a fellow from North Dakota this past year, and he didn't kill a bird but the highlight of his trip was he got to see an Armadillo.  I thought it was a strange highlight but hey I also was in KS with a buddy this season who was all excited to see a pheasant for the first time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

catdaddy

Possum on the Half Shell

Hillbilly Speed Bumps