OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

box trap bait

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, May 24, 2013, 11:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TURKEY THUG

What is a good bait to use in a box trap for coons. Thanks trying to help the turkeys out a little.

vaturkey

Vaturkey

TurkeyScratch

Deputy 14

A can of sardines or tuna works wonders because of the strong smell, canned dog food works well too. You can catch a coon with about anything though.

DirtNap647

Quote from: Deputy 14 on May 25, 2013, 03:55:39 AM
A can of sardines or tuna works wonders because of the strong smell, canned dog food works well too. You can catch a coon with about anything though.
x2

TURKEYWHACKER

I once traded a farmer for hunting access to his place if I would trap the culprits who were eating up his sweet corn. This was in Upstate New York in the early 90's and I used 3 box sets with leg hold traps baited with cans of sardines. Every night after dinner I would drive to the farm to check traps. I caught a mess of coons, and to my surprise, over a dozen skunks in the couple of weeks I trapped. Learned some valuable lessons too, like always check wind direction before you dispatch Pepe LePew.   :toothy12:

redarrow

Local bait shop will probably give you their dead minnows.Put em in baggies and freeze for later use.

hookedspur

Marshmellow with vanilla sprinkled on them
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

WV TURKEY THUG

runngun

Marshmellows

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

jblackburn

Cat food, sardines, tuna, peanut butter
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

gatrapper

I would double check with your regs, but I would hope your'e not trapping out of season.

Raccoons with go after anything.  Jack Mackerel, wet catfood, etc.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TURKEYWHACKER on May 25, 2013, 07:21:20 AMLearned some valuable lessons too, like always check wind direction before you dispatch Pepe LePew.   :toothy12:
;D :TooFunny:

lightsoutcalls

I have caught them before with marshmallows as well as apricots and gummy bears.  I was using the Duke dog proof traps.  I agree that you might want to check your local game regs on trapping the coons.  Here in AR, we can get a depredation permit good for I think a month at a time if they are causing problems with property damage or killing chickens, etc. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

longspur

The marshmellows and honey buns with vanilla flavor seem to catch less opossums and skunks. On the other hand they probably eat eggs too.