turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wing bone call from a tom?

Started by Crossbowjim, May 24, 2013, 12:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossbowjim

I searched the forum and could not find any reference, but I have both the right and left wing bones from a tom I shot last season.  Does it make a difference if the call is made from the bones of a tom vs a hen? Does it make a difference right or left wing?  Thanks for any input!

TRKYHTR

Yes it does. A hen wing bone is alot smaller and sounds better. A gobbler wing bone is larger and takes more air to use. You can still use them but most people prefer the hen bones. As far as left and right it doesn't matter.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Crossbowjim

Gawhitaker

Jim: the gobbler bones will make a good turkey call, one they will respond to well. I have made wingbones from hen and a 100 or so gobbler bones, the hen does have a higher pitch.  We have had good success with gobbler boned calls in the woods. The key is in the mouthpeice, i do a lot of hand sanding on it to thin it up and shape the mouth peice to get the desired sound, another major factor is to leave the mouthpeice as long as possible. Trkyhtr is correct on the air due to the larger diameter of the bone opening, However the amount of air needed can be controlled to a degree by the depth of the call between the lips and the amount of pressure applied. I made a hen call some uears back, even though i carry at least 3 wingbones on every hunt the hen call never saw the woods this past season, it certainly doesn't have to be made of hen bones to call that ole gobbler in. Have fun and good luck, if you have trouble shoot me a pm

Tail Feathers

I have a friend who uses goose bones in the smallest portion of the wingbones he makes.  They sound like hen bones, and appear to be the same size.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!