turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NY gobblers?

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, May 24, 2013, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mspaci

You are entitled to your opinion. Turkeys do not get hammerered as you say in the fall. There are very few hunters actually hunting fall turkeys. Call a biologist or look at fall take numbers & you will see. The weather plays the biggest part of the puzzle. Do you remember the ice storms back in the early 90`s. Turkeys were wiped out in many areas. Three years later we had record numbers again. Fall hunting has the least impact on turkey numbers of all.  Mike

WNY Bowhunter

They're not done yet.  These 3 longbeards were putting on a show tonight for 4 hens and 3 jakes out in this field...

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

WNY Bowhunter

UPDATE:

I made a phone call to my uncle last night who has been hunting these birds telling him where they were.  They gobbled like crazy on the roost and came out right where they were supposed to and he laid the hammer down on the strutter from the above pics...

Terry

Glad to see someone is having luck. I haven't heard a gobble in 3 days of hunting a total of 6 spots. Not looking good for me scoring on a 2nd bird. It's been one of my roughest seasons!

I am under a tree know just listening and occasionally calling.

turkeyfeathers

All was quiet out in the Eagle, NY area this morning. Nary a gobble. Lots of deer and songbirds. Too warm , just full moon and henned up. Two days for me to hunt my second bird and not looking good. 2 of 6 days birds talked. It was another great morning to share with my 10 yr old daughter though.

CrustyRusty

Terry

It's all over for me. Today was my last hunt for this season. Hunted hard again without even a gobble. I did see two nice toms in full strut out in a field about 5 miles from where I hunt as I was driving between spots.

turkeyfeathers

Eagle, NY again this morning. Not a word from a bird. Last hurrah tomorrow for 2nd bird. Darn bad year!

WNY Bowhunter

Today was my last hunt of the season too.  We had one gobbling pretty good but once he hit the ground he answered me a few times and went away from my calling.  Guess we'll get him next year...

TauntoHawk

Buddy of mine found a bird he had been hunting all season dead in a field yesterday, no apearent reason of death but could have taken a body shot and died from infection or something. It had been there a day or two when he found it. 1-1/8th spurs, good bird that had certainly out witted us a few times.

Had an amazing season overall, shot two great NY birds on consecutive mornings before 6, another nice one in PA, called in one for my father, 3 for youth hunters, and a Stud for my Wife's first ever bird. Never went a morning without hearing and seeing a gobbler on all 14 hunts.

Very memorable hunts and can't wait for next year, hope to add that 3rd state if work allows.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

turkeyfeathers

Ashame on the found bird. Sounds like you had a great season. Only heard birds 2 of 7 times out. Smoked 2 yr old one day but he came in silent. Nice show for my decoys though. Bummer, another season come and gone. Feel like my dog died. Don't know what to do with myself after tomorrow

Terry

Quote from: turkeyfeathers on May 30, 2013, 03:22:08 PMFeel like my dog died. Don't know what to do with myself after tomorrow

I hear ya!

whaler

Hunted one day in NY on the 22nd. Birds absolutely hammering. My brother got one right off the roost at 5:50am then i nailed best bird of my 5 year hunting career at 10am. 1.5 inch spurs, 11 inch beard, 24.5 lbs.

Had luck in CT bowhunting them. Gobbling and active but still henned up. Missed a shot on a bird last weekend, but was an awesome hunt. 

Interesting thing was I was fairly successful at calling hens in this season to drag the longbeards. Didn't seem like the hens were drawing them away as much as in years past.

All in all, a great season and super pumped about my bird i got in NY. Came full strut across a field and shot him at 15 steps. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Hope there is a good hatch this spring and hopefully next season can improve for the many who didn't not end up as fortunate.