turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NY gobblers?

Started by 1tiogabowhunter, May 24, 2013, 10:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tiogabowhunter

Headed to Western NY and Upstate PA for the long weekend hoping to kill another bird or two.   What are they doing up there?

njdevilsb

In upstate NY they are still henned up pretty bad.  We have one that gobbles about 10 times in the tree and pretty much nothing on the ground.  We had another group last weekend that gobbled like crazy for 2 hours but wouldn't break.  We didn't know the lay of the land too well since we've only hunted there once before so we didn't want to make a move on them.  The whole season we've been dealing with henned birds who have no reason to come to our calls or decoys.  I've heard from a few people on here that they are henned up elsewhere as well.

turkeyfeathers

WNY here. Haven't been out since first week. One of four days they talked. First bird in the freezer. I like the tail end of the season better than early part.  Even the hens have been tightlipped. Taking my daughter out tomorrow. I'll post up details of what we heard .

mikejd

Quote from: turkeyfeathers on May 24, 2013, 11:18:14 AM
WNY here. Haven't been out since first week. One of four days they talked. First bird in the freezer. I like the tail end of the season better than early part.  Even the hens have been tightlipped. Taking my daughter out tomorrow. I'll post up details of what we heard .

Same here. Funny you bring up the hens being quiet because usually I can get them going but this year there tight lipped to.
Good luck to anyone lucky enough to get out this weekend.

turkeyfeathers

Quote from: njdevilsb on May 24, 2013, 11:13:05 AM
In upstate NY they are still henned up pretty bad.  We have one that gobbles about 10 times in the tree and pretty much nothing on the ground.  We had another group last weekend that gobbled like crazy for 2 hours but wouldn't break.  We didn't know the lay of the land too well since we've only hunted there once before so we didn't want to make a move on them.  The whole season we've been dealing with henned birds who have no reason to come to our calls or decoys.  I've heard from a few people on here that they are henned up elsewhere as well.
Sounds like a may have to get "nasty hen" on the hens and draw them in with Tom to follow.

DirtNap647

i know pa has been awful quiet little gobbling not much to deal with

Terry

Same thing with me, henned up since May 1st. It's been a tough season.

TauntoHawk

I've had an excellent season from Youth season right up until last week when I was last out hunting more east in PA/NY.

There were two days during the first week that I had a tough time getting gobbles but after the second weekend it blew wide open for us. Im sure this past week with how warm it got they queited down after fly down but this weekend should be cool and they should be fired up.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Terry

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 24, 2013, 01:24:34 PMbut this weekend should be cool and they should be fired up.

That's what I am hoping for. I am in Oswego and Cayuga counties.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

It was wide open Monday and Tuesday in cortland.We were into em pretty thick despite an abundance of hens.

The weekend weather looks marginal but next week should be awesome.

Get them roosted and be waiting 40-50 yards from the roost by 4am the next morning if you want to be in the game. The hens are roosted close by so using darkness and stealth to slide in on top of them is critical if you want to put em down.

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 24, 2013, 11:36:32 AM
i know pa has been awful quiet little gobbling not much to deal with

Same in my area.  I've had a really good season but the birds have been strangely quiet over the past two weeks.  They're still there though.  I believe that they are starting to break from the hens now and things will pick up at the end.
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 24, 2013, 05:05:53 PM
It was wide open Monday and Tuesday in cortland.We were into em pretty thick despite an abundance of hens.

Get them roosted and be waiting 40-50 yards from the roost by 4am the next morning if you want to be in the game. The hens are roosted close by so using darkness and stealth to slide in on top of them is critical if you want to put em down.

So, you're not hunting up near Lake Ontario any more?
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

Terry

Everywhere was dead this morning. That and the wind killed any volume I had.

TauntoHawk

Winds a killer, I'd rather hunt rain.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 25, 2013, 09:54:49 AM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 24, 2013, 05:05:53 PM

So, you're not hunting up near Lake Ontario any more?
Havent hunted up that far this year.  Been into good hunting in cortland with no reason to run farther.

My brother and his buddy killed 2 this morning at my cortland spot.