turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bearded hens/Do you shoot or not?

Started by turkeyfeathers, May 23, 2013, 09:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captin_hook

I did this year. It was the first bearded hen I ever seen while hunting. She carried a nice 7.25 inch beard. It's a one time deal for me. Now that I have one, I wouldn't do it again. But to all that shoot em, If its legal in your state and that's your choice, then have at it. Coons, yotes, foxes, grinners, skunks kill a lot more turkey population than a guy shooting a bearded hen.

chatterbox

In the spring, never. It is legal in NH to take one, but no gobble, and no bling equals a free pass from me.
We do have a week long fall shotgun season, but I have mixed feelings on shoting a hen, anytime.
My problem is it's usually the brood hen that comes marching in to the call, and those young birds in her care will rely on her to get through the winter, and I have no desire to shoot a 10 lb jenny or jake just to say I killed something.
However, if it's legal for you, and you want to pull the trigger, go for it. Just not so sure it's my cup of tea.

strutnrut

What amuses me is those who think fall hunting hurts the population (shooting hens).
Also just because I said we have to many hens someone would come to the conclusion that I have have problem killing gobblers.
FYI seen 15 gobblers and 18 fall hens with 2 fall gobblers die last year and 10 gobblers his year die , hens to be determined. All on public land (Ft. Campbell, KY). I only shot 6 gobblers in the past 2 springs and 1 fall gobbler. Don't think I have many problems killing gobblers.   
I choose to carry soldiers and their family members hunting so they can enjoy a day in the woods and maybe I can pass along something to the younger guys. Nothing like watching a 10 year old shoot his first bird or a wife kill her first and watch how proud he is of her.  I always try to get the women and children invovled.   

RAY

I've only seen one bearded hen and was able to shoot it several years ago.  I view it as another trophy. I have no problem shooting one or anybody else shooting one for that matter. I also will take a Jake if the opportunity is there.

Neill_Prater

Quote from: strutnrut on May 27, 2013, 07:45:40 AM
What amuses me is those who think fall hunting hurts the population (shooting hens).
Also just because I said we have to many hens someone would come to the conclusion that I have have problem killing gobblers.
FYI seen 15 gobblers and 18 fall hens with 2 fall gobblers die last year and 10 gobblers his year die , hens to be determined. All on public land (Ft. Campbell, KY). I only shot 6 gobblers in the past 2 springs and 1 fall gobbler. Don't think I have many problems killing gobblers.   
I choose to carry soldiers and their family members hunting so they can enjoy a day in the woods and maybe I can pass along something to the younger guys. Nothing like watching a 10 year old shoot his first bird or a wife kill her first and watch how proud he is of her.  I always try to get the women and children invovled.

Strutnrut, apparently you think my previous reply was an attempt to single you out. I can assure you it was not, and, in fact, had not even read your previous post when I posted mine. I was speaking in generic terms, because virtually every time one of these threads about the shooting of bearded hens crops up, there are always those that reply that there are "too many hens". I also hear that when talking to other hunters rather frequently. I still stand by my original statement in that most, not all, view hens as their competetition in the spring, and are not speaking from a biological standpoint when they lament the overpopulation of female turkeys.

I've said for years, on this forum, and others, that as long as it is legal, then whatever floats your boat is okay by me. My only argument with the taking of bearded hens, during spring seasons, is the fact that those regulations allowing the taking of them are not in place to encourage shooting a hen, but rather to avoid prosecuting those who make an honest mistake by shooting a bird with an obviously visible beard only to find it is indeed a hen, rather than a gobbler. It is no different than if you shot a deer with antlers, during a buck only season, and found it was actually a doe (supposedly, antlered does occasionally do exist). If one shoots a bearded hen intentionally, knowing it is a hen before pulling the trigger, I, somehow, just don't think that is right. That is just my opinion. In the fall, when legal, if killing a hen floats your boat, then all means go for it. I've killed a couple myself, in years past, and the last time I did so, my boat didn't float, so I haven't killed one for probably 10 or more years, and likely will not ever again.

I also agree that mother nature has much more effect on the population of wildlife in general, than do hunters. Right now, I'm thinking 2015 may not be a banner year for turkeys here in SW MO with very heavy rain forecast tonight into tomorrow, likely wiping out many nests and poults, if there are any already hatched.

CrustyRusty

Excellent reply Neill.  I would have to imagine that the regulations regarding the taking of bearded hens in the spring is to indemnify someone from mistakenly taking a bearded hen.  Clearly there are areas in the country where the turkey populations are very strong, unfortunately where I live they do not appear to be so I never shoot hens.

Strutnrut, I notice you say there is no correlation between turkey population and fall hunting where hens are allowed to be harvested, however, in one of your earlier posts you indicate an overabundance of hens where you hunt.  You also admit that they dont have fall hunting there on a regular basis.

I havent seen anywhere on here where someone has stated that fall hunting of hens is the only reason for a decline of population, but instead they have indicated that it may be a piece of the pie that includes disease, predation, overhunting, etc.

Getting back on topic, I would have to say that the shooting of hens, in any season whether they have beards or not, depends on the health of the population of the area you hunt.

spaightlabs

Quote from: strutnrut on May 27, 2013, 07:45:40 AM

You can be as amused as you want, but the simple fact is that dead hens do not lay eggs.  If it is legal and you want to do it, rock on, shoot some girls.  But don't you dare cry later if your population seems low or they lower your limit.