OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bearded hens/Do you shoot or not?

Started by turkeyfeathers, May 23, 2013, 09:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfeathers

Just looking for your thoughts on this subject:
I myself won't shoot one even though it's legal nor do i throw lead at jakes. Heck, i want a show most of all. Turkey in the freezer is only icing on the cake.
I've been told that bearded hens are some of the best mothers do to the slight testosterone imballance. Those bearded hens are also sitting now too. By no means am I rediculing anyone for doing so.

snapper1982

bearded hens are still hens capable of nesting. I do not shoot bearded hens in the spring but they are fair game in the fall

DirtNap647

to each there own trophy...me personally just dont wana use my tag on a hen

spaightlabs

I wouldn't shoot one, if someone else feels like they want to decrease the number of egg-layers in their area that is their decision.

We can shoot hens in in the fall, but I've never understood why someone would want to, a dead hen in the fall isn't gonna lay eggs in the spring. But to each his own.

Skeeterbait

Not legal in Alabama, but I would not shoot one anyway. Our reg says gobblers with visable beards only.  So not only is a bearded hen not legal game, but a beardless gobbler would also not be legal game.  Now if you heard that bearded hen gobble, would that make her a legal bearded gobbler?  ???  :z-dizzy:

Spring Creek Calls

No in spring,  maybe in the fall in times of high population density.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

mikejd

No killing hens bearded or not. I have had the opportunity. Would have made a nice trophy especially since I called her all the way to 5' from my barrel.

Tomspur

Have seen bearded hens before and only killed one and that was last fall. Had an eight inch beard. Will not kill another however since I have one. I am after those longbeards. Can't wait until next season.

njdevilsb

In the fall I might.  We let one go opening day of our spring season this year.  Got her on video 15 yards from us while it was still real dim.  I ended up getting my only tom of the year so far about 30 minutes later.

gobblerassassin21

id pass need more birds around here.

Onpoint

Fall archery- yes
Spring Season - no

jacannon

WildTigerTrout

Bearded hens are legal here during the spring hunt. Myself I would give her a pass because it's breeding season. She would not however get the same pass during the fall season.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TRKYHTR

I took a guy several years ago that shot a bearded hen while we were hunting in the spring. After I cleaned her and pulled out several eggs from ready to lay all the way to pea size, I decided nobody hunting with me will kill a bearded hen in the spring. In the Fall it's fair game. We have too many hens and need some gone as it is. So if you want to kill a hen in the fall with me it's fair game.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck