OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Will Primos, Eddie Salter, Harold Knight and more

Started by Arlo, March 09, 2011, 09:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arlo

Marks Outdoors in Birmingham, Alabama is having a big event Thursday the 10th and Will, Eddie, Harold and some other legends will be there.  Wish I could get off work to go.  Not to often you get to meet a legend much less 4 or 5.
"I'd rather Turkey Hunt than breathe, I just can't figure out how to get away with it!"

Sherrell

I would like to meet Eddie Salter again....met him in the early eighties and would so enjoy to get a squealing hen autographed by him. :goofball:

shootumindaface

2 guys that sold their companies and one that sold his integrity

Sherrell

410gauge

2 guys that sold their companies and one that sold his integrity

BINGO !!!

Arlo

PM me and explain????  I would like to be up to speed on this
"I'd rather Turkey Hunt than breathe, I just can't figure out how to get away with it!"

BOFF

So what's wrong with a guy selling his company? One usually has a company to make money, and often it gets time to sell, maybe due to it not running in the direction you had hoped, or maybe due to wanting to get back to a smaller business. Still doesn't change the knowledge the men have about hunting turkeys, and their achievements. I understand a man's character may change, but there are very few of us, including myself, that can handle such a large success, and not let it go to our heads.

I met Will a long time ago, and yes, he wouldn't know me, or remember me, but he was a class act when I met him. I still have a signed slate call from him, which I always carry,  and a lot of my first birds were taken with it.

As for the event at Marks, I always try to go when possible. Good food, fellowship, selections, and prices as well.

God Bless,
David B.

runngun

What ? I know that Primos sold his company and Knight and Hale sold theirs. So the other must be Eddie ? If you are talking about Eddie endorsing THE Squeling Hen call, just don't buy it.
I remember several years ago MAD made "locator call" the "dead silent" (it was a cheap dog whistle). And guess what IT DID NOT WORK either.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Arlo

Man what a fuss Ihave created.  I thought people would be excited about meeting some Legends I guess not.  I would like to think that these guys are like most and yes have made some bad choices in life but I have as well.  I think they still make some great calls.  If any of you guys are that disappointed with anything from these guys PM me and I will give you my address and you can mail it to me.  Heck I would even pay the postage! :you_rock:

dodger

you want to meet a legend... go meet Tom Kelly... then you will have met a legend

younggun

Here is my two cents on so called "sell outs" in the hunting industry. The way I look at it is that these men have a job to do just like everyone else and I know when I go to my job I want to make money just like these guys. People holds these guys to a higher standard because  they are on tv but the truth of the matter is they are business men who have found a way to make money hunting for a living. I know I for one would jump at the chance to hunt and get paid enough to support my family as I am sure a lot of us would. These three guys and many others are the ones that have paved the way for hunting as we know it today and have a wealth of knowledge to boot. So if you don't like their product don't buy them, their companies have made some things that I personally think are ridiculous but I am not going to down talk them as men for making a few bucks.

Flydown

Quote from: Arlo on March 09, 2011, 09:24:27 AM
Marks Outdoors in Birmingham, Alabama is having a big event Thursday the 10th and Will, Eddie, Harold and some other legends will be there.  Wish I could get off work to go.  Not to often you get to meet a legend much less 4 or 5.

Marks Outdoors ALWAYS puts on a great event. And has some of the best prices on anything to do with hunting around these parts. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

lightsoutcalls

Quote from: Arlo on March 09, 2011, 10:22:33 AM
I think they still make some great calls. 

Not to nit-pick, but I seriously doubt that any of these guys have had anything to do with production or development of actual calls in some time... with the exception of the squealing hen...   ::)

I would enjoy sitting down and talking with any of them over a meal or in a laid back, no pressure setting, but don't get a thing out of standing in a line for an impersonal signature...  no offense to those who do, I'm just over the superstar syndrome I had as a kid. 
I have had the pleasure of sitting with Alex Rutledge in a hotel lobby for several hours talking, as well as in the hunting cabin in front of his house in Birch Tree, MO.  He is a down to earth guy with some great stories about hunting and about life in general.

Not to spoil anybody's fun, but I suspect they all put their pants on one leg at a time.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

shootumindaface

It was more or less to make the jab at the squealing hen.. As for selling the company, heck if its for the money I cant blame either of them.. I have no problem with either of the two.. Are they legends of turkey hunting to me, No, their are many other folks I look up to the sport of turkey hunting.. Are they legends of the game call industry and the commercialization of game calls, by all means yes..

runngun

Arlo, thanks for a good post. Wish I lived closer.
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.