OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

20ga Remington 11-87 Model Choices...?

Started by Full_Fan, May 20, 2013, 09:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

I'm starting to think about looking into a 20 gauge turkey gun to add to my collection.  I'm interested in the Remington 11-87 3" model.  I don't know much about 20 gauges, but am pretty familiar with Remington 12 gauges.

As far as 11-87 20 gauges go, what models come in the 3"?  I know the 12ga 11-87 has the special purpose, premier, sportsman, and maybe some more versions.  What was the first year the 11-87 20ga 3" was produced?  Any particular years or models to avoid?

I'd like a full camo model with a shorter turkey barrel and interchangeable chokes.

All I have seen so far with these features is a model called the Sportsman 20ga 11-87.  Is this the only factory choice?  Was there ever a Special Purpose model made?  I know in the 12ga model, I prefer the Special Purpose (SPS) model over the Sportsman.

Any information or recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

FL-Boss

Rem has been making 20ga 11-87 for a long while. I have a premier 11-87 20ga I got about 5 years ago. Also have a 11-87 12ga.

My 20 has the real nice wood finish - I use this as my go to dove/quail gun. The balance and feel is great.  millions of 11-87's sold for a reason.. like the 1100, they are great guns.

I would have another one for my  turkey gun in a second if they made it with a smaller barrel, in camo, and with the sureshot stock. (Kinda like the 11-87 sportsman sureshot 12ga - which I have also owned, but just sold for something lighter)

rock54

I JUST BOUGHT A 1187 SPORTSMAN NEW, IT IS AT THE GUNSMITH NOW GETN DRILLD AND TAPD FOR A SCOPE...IT HAS THE 26INCH BARREL AND COMPOSITE STOCK AND FOREARM, PLAN ON USING MY SSX .550 OR IC .555 CHOKE, I ONLY SHOOT LEAD SO WHICH EVER PATTERNS THE SHELLS I HAVE THE BEST, WILL BE MY CHOICE FOR NOW....GOOD LUCK IN YOUR DECISION....RUSS

remmy1187

I also have the sportsman 20 gauge and I love the thing.  I wanted a 21" barrel but all you could get the sportsman in is 26 or 28 inches.   There is also a youth model 11-87 that comes with a 21" barrel and is also full camo, this gun may be a bit harder to find than the sportsman though.  The 20 gauge shur-shot stock does fit on the 11-87 too, I got one from a member here a few weeks ago.  Gonna get it dipped to match my gun since they only come in black.

Full_Fan

Thanks guys.  Does the camo 20ga 3" 11-87 come in any other models other than the Sportsman?

Full_Fan

Somebody has to know this...?  Thanks!!

wmd

Quote from: Full_Fan on May 23, 2013, 09:53:21 AM
Somebody has to know this...?  Thanks!!

The Compact 20s are 3"; they are available in black synthetic and full camo.  I have bought two for my son.  One was converted to a dedicated slug gun after turkey season and the other is his everything else gun, including turkeys.  I carried one of the 20s exclusively this past turkey season and have killed deer and turkeys with it the last couple of years.  The Compacts come with spacers that can be installed on the stock to increase the LOP, but what I do since they are my son's is when I shoot them at the range, I put a Sims slip on pad to increase the LOP, but when I carry it hunting, I remove the pad.   The shorter LOP has not been a problem in the woods.

I really like the 21" barrel on them in the deer and turkey woods!  This is what we did with ours this year: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,36577.msg370020.html#msg370020

Full_Fan

Thanks wmd!  A couple more questions then...

Will a "regular" stock fit on the "compact" receiver... in other words can you change one stock out for the other?

Also, how easy is it to find one of these used rather than buy one new?

Thanks!

wmd

Quote from: Full_Fan on May 23, 2013, 10:15:02 PM
Thanks wmd!  A couple more questions then...

Will a "regular" stock fit on the "compact" receiver... in other words can you change one stock out for the other?

Also, how easy is it to find one of these used rather than buy one new?

Thanks!

Yes, the "regular" stocks will fit on the Compact guns, actually the only difference on the compact gun is the shorter stock and shorter barrel.  You can put any 1187 20 ga stock or barrel on it. 

I personally have never seen a used one for sale, but I didn't look for them either.  The two I bought were brand new. 

Full_Fan

Thanks wmd.  Anybody else know how hard finding one of these used is?

va wingbone

There's a used camo youth model on gunbroker, bidding started at $725

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

Full_Fan

I'll keep an eye on gunbroker.  Thanks va wingbone.  If anybody has one for sale or sees one at a local shop please let me know.  Thanks.

surehuntsalot

does it have to be a youth or compact model ???
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

wmd

Quote from: surehuntsalot on June 06, 2013, 08:19:07 PM
does it have to be a youth or compact model ???

Probably does if he wants the 21" barrel unless he spends the $35 + shipping to send it to William to have it cut and threaded.  He might be able to find one a little easier (and cheaper) if he went that route.