OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tough groundhog wouldn't die: Glad I have cool neighbors!

Started by busta biggun, May 20, 2013, 02:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busta biggun

First of all, you have to understand my neighborhood. Semi-gated golf course community, yuppie cars, uptight housing association rules, etc. I also have these ground hogs that like to hang out in my back yard. I don't mind so much,...until they get a little too cozy. I had one burrowed in under the rocks next to my back porch. He has been tearing up the barbecue grill to get the grease out of the grease traps, plus this thing looks all scarred up and mangy looking. We have a fox terrier that is too stupid to know any better and this groundhog is not afraid of the dog, so I am anticipating a dog maiming if I don't do something.

I am in my office today and hear the dog growling. She is looking out the window and this mutant groundhog is standing on my rocks. I put the dog away, got my colt woodsman .22, and slowly opened the door. I had a small window of fur to shoot at cleanly. I shot it and it jumped straight up. It was wounded and was trying to crawl back in the hole. I didn't want a dead groundhog rotting under my rocks so I shot it again. It takes off running into my next door neighbors back yard. I shot it two more times and it flips over on it's back, dying. I am thinking it's all over so I go to get a trash bag to throw it in the garbage, and it's still alive. I shoot it in the head this time. NOW it's over, but what I expected to be a quick, discreet, dispatch of a varmint turned into a very loud, indiscreet shootout which I am sure attracted a bit of attention. Fortunately my neighbors in my cul-de-sac all have CCW's aand are very cool. Not sure who all was home, but I haven't had any phone calls or police visits so everything must be ok,

Gooserbat

Your mistake was not shooting it in the head.  Something about a CCI Stinger to the noggin gets them every time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

busta biggun

He didn't offer up a head shot. He was standing on the rocks between my grill and the stairs coming down from the deck. All I could see was from his chest down. I shot one before doing the same thing and he dropped like a rock. I obviously didn't get him in the heart. Guess I live and learn.

renegade19

They're tough.  I live in suburbia in similar circumstances.  Had one gnaw a hole in my giant pumpkin.  Took me 3 shots with 22 long rifles.  Nobody said a word.

WNY Bowhunter

"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

jblackburn

Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 20, 2013, 02:40:18 PM
I'm glad that I live out in the country... ;D.

Yep!  No problems with neighbors where I am at.  Armadillos, now that's another story.

17 hmr is wicked on those things!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Old Gobbler

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

busta biggun

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 20, 2013, 02:48:19 PM

That is hilarious Shannon! I guess when you look at it,...I did a LOT less damage than Carl did to get rid of my gopher!!!

WV TURKEY THUG

I shot a skunk 3 times with a 22 mag once all placed behind front shoulder still didn't die. Had to get the 308 to finish him off. I think a skunk and groundhogs are some tough animals. If I was u I would be getting some remington cbs and use them just make sure u shoot from inside of ur house make sure to keep the barrel inside also it traps the sound inside somewhat. No one will hear it if there inside there house. Subsonics ain't as loud as regular bullets also. Or u could just use a bow lol.

tomstopper

surehuntsalot

Quote from: jblackburn on May 20, 2013, 02:46:32 PM
Quote from: WNY Bowhunter on May 20, 2013, 02:40:18 PM
I'm glad that I live out in the country... ;D.

Yep!  No problems with neighbors where I am at.  Armadillos, now that's another story.

17 hmr is wicked on those things!

Armadillos and racoons are bad around here   the 7.62x39mm HP's love it when they come around
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: busta biggun on May 20, 2013, 02:22:09 PMNot sure who all was home, but I haven't had any phone calls or police visits so everything must be ok,
Funny story!! Made me laugh!! ;D :TooFunny:

Uncle Nicky

Man, this story hits close to home with me.  ::)

I live in the same kind of neighborhood, and since I've moved here, I'd shoot on average 6 groundhogs a year, they burrow in the township-owned woodlot that borders my property, I'd shoot them in the noggin with a .22 rifle, really only just sounded like a firecracker going off.

Last year I removed the old maple that was dying in the yard, not even thinking that the leaves muffled the sound of the shots....I had one heck of a surprise when I shot one earlier this year, it sounded like a .243 going off, BIG non-no where I live. I guess it's going to have to be crossbow only now, I did manage to hit one last night in the neck, little @#$%^&* ran off with my $6 arrow.  :z-dizzy: