turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hevi-Shot Equivalent

Started by lvetgas, May 20, 2013, 06:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lvetgas

Is there anything that patterns really close to Hevi-shot 3 1/2" #7 that is not so expensive to shoot?

I  shooting a SBE 2 with a sumtoy choke.

coyotetrpr

Jakes are like scotch. They are not worth a darn until they age.

vt35mag

R AJ

Quote from: lvetgas on May 20, 2013, 06:41:57 AM
Is there anything that patterns really close to Hevi-shot 3 1/2" #7 that is not so expensive to shoot?

The only good news is that you do not have to have those numbers to be an effective turkey killing machine. Distance will be compromised for sure.

TauntoHawk

No, noone enjoys $5 a shell. The vast uptake in performance is what draws us in. You would have to hand load shells to find some better performance than most shelf bought lead

Honestly the Turkey Thug lead #6's this year performed great on paper and layed several birds out. We aren't talked even half what hevi 7's can do but 110-140 with lead will get the job done out to 40 every time. I should have gotten 5 or 6 boxes when I had the chance.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lvetgas

The only Turkey Thugs I can find are 3 1/2" #5. Are those pretty good shells?

Onpoint

Quote from: lvetgas on May 20, 2013, 07:42:32 PM
The only Turkey Thugs I can find are 3 1/2" #5. Are those pretty good shells?
I hunt with the 3" 5's. They're the best lead shell ive ever shot out of my gun.

surehuntsalot

Federal 3" 2oz #7-1/2's will give them a run for their money at NORMAL hunting ranges,if you could fine some
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

01Foreman400

Sell your $1,500 gun, buy a pump and you'll have plenty of money for ammo.
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

blueridgegobbler

surehuntsalot seems im not the only one who remembers those old gold and blue boxes of federals looking at two and a half boxes of them right now 3/2/7.5 they are deadly at 40 yards.

mightyjoeyoung

I remember them too!  Still have a little over a box of them somewhere.  Might have to take out the 835 next season and let em mush a big gobbler's head.  LOTS and LOTS of pellets in that load...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: blueridgegobbler on May 22, 2013, 07:21:50 PM
surehuntsalot seems im not the only one who remembers those old gold and blue boxes of federals looking at two and a half boxes of them right now 3/2/7.5 they are deadly at 40 yards.

sure wish Federal still made those things
didn't cost 5-6 dollars a shell,deadly patterns as far as you needed to be shooting

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: surehuntsalot on May 22, 2013, 08:59:28 PM

didn't cost 5-6 dollars a shell,deadly patterns as far as you needed to be shooting

I wonder why they never sold them around here.  At least I don't think I have ever seen any.  But I know Gold hunter showed me a box of them on here.  But I'm glad you guys told me about them.  Like I said you learn something new each day. 

stinkpickle

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 22, 2013, 09:13:02 PM

I wonder why they never sold them around here.  At least I don't think I have ever seen any.  But I know Gold hunter showed me a box of them on here.  But I'm glad you guys told me about them.  Like I said you learn something new each day.

I never saw them in big name stores, but a few little mom and pop shops carried them.  I found 12 boxes at an archery shop after I moved to Iowa...I bought them all.  :)

surehuntsalot

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 22, 2013, 09:50:48 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 22, 2013, 09:13:02 PM

I never saw them in big name stores, but a few little mom and pop shops carried them.  I found 12 boxes at an archery shop after I moved to Iowa...I bought them all.  :)

now that was a gold mine find there,wish it had been me