turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Need some help please

Started by VA Gobble Addict, May 19, 2013, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA Gobble Addict

First of all, hello. I'm not a new member here I just don't post much, I check in every day though and enjoy everyone's success and stories. My name is Chris, I live in VA, I'm 27 years old and have been hunting turkeys for 5 years. I wish I had started sooner, but I plan to make up for lost time. I did a search on this forum and have spent more hours than I care to share the past few day making phone calls, drawing on maps, doing Internet research on each states game and fish website than I care to mention. I'm looking to head west next year to chase merriams, a species of turkey I desperately want to hunt and score on. I plan on hunting the black hills of SD and WY while I'm there and then hitting the areas around Chadron, NE on the way back. From what I understand you are allowed one turkey for the SD black hills, up to three in NE, and WY I'm not sure. Anyone have any idea how many turkeys non residents are allowed in WY? And are they over the counter or application? Also, I've been having trouble trying to figure out which areas hold the highest population of birds. I don't want any specific area names or anyone's honey holes, just a simple north, south, east, or west side of the black hills will be more than helpful. From what I hear, the scenery of the black hills will be worth the trip...but, I would hate to drive there without the best chance of success possible to bag the species I want most. Any and all help is appreciated.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

jblackburn

No expert here, but I think WY is over the counter with a one bird limit. Never been, but I researched it last year.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

VA Gobble Addict

Thanks for your help man. So it looks like I'll be able to take 5 turkeys on this trip.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

2 in Wyoming if you apply for the bonus tag.

VA Gobble Addict

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Birds aren't as plentiful as they once were but my guy has been telling me there was a great hatch last year and things are shaping up for another this spring. 

Don't know where you're looking to go in WY but it's pretty country and those merriams are a lot of fun to chase.

VA Gobble Addict

Was thinking about trying the national forest on the WY side too. Is all of that open to hunting?