OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting....morels

Started by fallsflight, May 19, 2013, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallsflight

Hit the turkey woods this evening, but since we can only hunt turkeys till noon, we were in search of morels.  Between my bag and a friend's we collected 79.  Going to be some good eating.  Over the years I have frozen them or dehydrated others.  Has anyone just put in paper bag once dry and stored in refrigerator?  Have read of others preserving this way.

jblackburn

:drool:

They have never lasted long enough for me to need to figure out how to store them!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Deputy 14

I put them in a gallon ziplock and fill it with water. Freeze them and when you want to cook them up just throw it in the sink til it thaws.

stinkpickle

Quote from: jblackburn on May 19, 2013, 09:52:29 PM

They have never lasted long enough for me to need to figure out how to store them!

This.  ^^^

budtripp

Ditto  :you_rock:

tomstopper

Great find.  The only way I would preserve them would be in my belly....... :toothy12:

Gooserbat

Never get to keep them...There gone in like 60 sec. at our house.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

strutnrut

AAAAAAAMEN

DirtNap647

Nolehoe

Never found any morels, don't think we have them around here, are there any dangerous mushrooms that favor morels in appearance?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

fallsflight

Quote from: Nolehoe on May 20, 2013, 12:38:50 PM
Never found any morels, don't think we have them around here, are there any dangerous mushrooms that favor morels in appearance?

Yes, there are some false morels, but they are real easy to tell from the true morels.  A true morel that you can eat will be hollow from stem all the way up and the cap attaches to the stem.  The false ones around here that closely resemble a real one, the cap does not attach to the stem and hangs over it like a skirt.  It also has some cotton like fibers inside of it and is not hollow.  A simple twist of this cap and it will fall right off.  Not so with the true morels as they are attached to the stem, which also prevents bugs from crawling up underneath it.  The false ones we have found always have a ton of bugs under the cap usually.  The false ones usually have a "brainy" looks appearance to them.  The inside is thick and not hollow also on the other kind of false morel.

Nolehoe

Good to know, thanks

barry

Back when we used to find them by the 100's my mother would fry some until about 2/3 done, let them cool and drain on a paper towel then pack in zip lock bags and freeze.
When taking them out of freezer, place in fry pan and finish frying. Taste just like fresh picked!

Gobble!

Fry them up. What you dont eat vacuum pack and freeze. Throw them back in the skillet when your ready for a couple minutes and they taste as good as the first day you fried them.
I always thought they tasted different after freezing them in water so I gave this a shot and I will never do it another way.

Turkeyman

I always keep an eye out for morels but, just this year in MO, found my first patch. My buddy Neill's wife cooked them up...delicious!