OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Star Dot 835/935

Started by ky.trophy, May 19, 2013, 05:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vt35mag

Quote from: mikejd on May 29, 2013, 12:02:32 PM
Quote from: vt35mag on May 29, 2013, 10:24:54 AM
Writing or no writing, all I know is the Star Dot I have has knocked the poop out of 6 birds the past two seasons...

That's all that matters in the end. And clearly this is all about fun anyway once your gun is throwibg a great pattern does it really matter who made the choke.
Its just fun to play.

That it is

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Grobec1 on May 29, 2013, 08:39:25 AM
Quote from: vt35mag on May 28, 2013, 05:13:55 PM
This is what I have guys;

Original Star Dot Packaging by Highland Sports Huntsville, AL
Straight Grooves
Moss 835 written on the choke
A measured inside diameter with a caliper of exactly .676

I would say that if this is indeed a "counterfeit", then its probably an exact replica to the Colonial Arms original.  Wouldn't you agree?

As far as patterns go, she put up a three shot average of 180 hits in the 10in circle at 40yds on a 45 degree day with approx. 35% humidity.  That's shooting Hevi 13 3-1/2in 2-1/4oz #6

Ok, If your tube has Moss 835 written on it what do you guys think I have it has
moss xfull written on it?

It's not an original Star Dot made by Colonial Arms.  To my knowledge, none of these Star Dot chokes that were made by Colonial Arms back in the late 90's I beleive was the time haad any writing on the tubes. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: vt35mag on May 29, 2013, 12:06:35 PM
Writing or no writing, all I know is the Star Dot I have has knocked the poop out of 6 birds the past two seasons...

That's all that matters in the end. And clearly this is all about fun anyway once your gun is throwibg a great pattern does it really matter who made the choke.
Its just fun to play.

That it is

That's true.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Its just fun to play.

I agree.

I just want to know the facts as much as I can.  Nothing like learning choke info. 

mohall64

Question:  On the package for the Star Dot chokes it states for LEAD ONLY, but I see that you guys are shooting hevi shot through it.  Have you had any problems because of shooting other that lead like sticking choke tubes, ect.
He will only be bigger next season!!!!

vt35mag

Quote from: mohall64 on June 17, 2013, 09:58:37 AM
Question:  On the package for the Star Dot chokes it states for LEAD ONLY, but I see that you guys are shooting hevi shot through it.  Have you had any problems because of shooting other that lead like sticking choke tubes, ect.

No problems, just don't use steel shot.

nflorek

I always had that question about the star dot chokes as to what ones are really the originals? I have both style packages and I bought the style with 835 writing on it a few year's before I ever saw the other style packaging, but this choke came with sights (as the owner of ca said the first ones did)and doesn't have the website printed anywhere on the package. The other packages have a web address printed on them and some even say for lead or Remington hevi- shot? I'm not sure what year hevi shot came out? Well I think I'm gonna get a colonial arms choke and compare the 3 styles with hevi 13 3.5 2.25oz #7's.

vt35mag

Quote from: nflorek on June 17, 2013, 11:00:34 AM
I always had that question about the star dot chokes as to what ones are really the originals? I have both style packages and I bought the style with 835 writing on it a few year's before I ever saw the other style packaging, but this choke came with sights (as the owner of ca said the first ones did)and doesn't have the website printed anywhere on the package. The other packages have a web address printed on them and some even say for lead or Remington hevi- shot? I'm not sure what year hevi shot came out? Well I think I'm gonna get a colonial arms choke and compare the 3 styles with hevi 13 3.5 2.25oz #7's.

Please post your findings if you do!

nflorek

I will post my findings. I am going to try to figure out how to post pictures from my phone of the different packages, chokes, and sights that I have. The other thing I find strange is the sights that came with the first choke I bought (choke is .676 and has moss 835 on it) are the same sights ca still sells today, so someone copied the sights also???? Guess we can only keep guessing..................

nflorek

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

owlhoot

I have one for an 835 with package, highlander on the back, alabama, all turkey loads except steel.
.676 id caliper 
no writing on choke
diamond knurl.
Bought new in the store, many eons ago.
have on for invector plus too.
I can check knurl for straight or diamond and id to if needed , bought in store also.

nflorek

Notice the ipx I for invector on this choke and the style of sights? The new ca star dot has motpx on it, and the "original" had  no writing on it. So the new ca star dot must of copied the px from the "counterfeits" part number? It just doesn't add up

nflorek

And these are the sights ca is still selling on there site they look the same to me.

nflorek

Here are the markings on the "New" ca star dot motpx

nflorek

I get the mo for Mossberg, the T for turkey, but the px that the "counterfeit" also used at the end of the part number?