turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Star Dot 835/935

Started by ky.trophy, May 19, 2013, 05:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I would also bet that if these are the truly the original sights at Macks offered at the exact same time as the original Star Dot that the package will look just like the original package in color. 

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-GA100

ILIKEHEVI-13

And  Ithink that Highlander later packaged these sight above as this package.

ILIKEHEVI-13

And later on after Highlander Sports stole Colonial Arms Star Dot choke design they started packaging them I believe like this.  These were the Preston Pittman Star Dot chokes that had writing on the tubes.  These I believe were the last chokes that Highlander Sports made before they went belly up and out of business. 

I'll show you a better picture of the one on ebay so you can better see the package and the choke in this link below. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-DOT-BOSS-BUSTER-CHOKE-TUBE-SIGHT-COMBO-REMINGTON-PP924-/120948464724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c29171c54#ht_443wt_681

ILIKEHEVI-13

highlander may have made the package somewhere after they stole Colonial Arms design different and it may have looked like the sight package above.  I don't know for sure, but what I do feel comfortable in stating is that after Highlander Sports stole Colonial Arms Star Dot choke desing and who they had made these fake Star Dot chokes put writing on the tubes of the brand that the choke was made for.  And later they also put Preston Pittman on the tubes as well. 

I am now wore out.   :lol:

Now the real question is whomade these fake chokes and took it upon theirself to copy the original Star Dot chokes that Colonial made. 

I would bet we might obtain the answer by going off of geographical location.  Highlander Sports was from Huntsville, AL.  That's how I put 2 and 2 together to Colonial Arms making the original Star Dot chokes for Highlander Sports after I seen a Colonial Arms choke on ebay that had porting exactly like my Star Dot choke, and Colonial Arms was in  Bay Minette, AL.

mikejd

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 24, 2013, 09:47:57 PM
Here's what the original Star Dot choke package looked like to the best of my knowledge on 2 of the 3 835 Star Dot choke I have had.  The last one I bought new but without the package on ebay. 

Now when I spoke to the owner of Colonial Sports on the phone like a year or so ago, she told me that the very first Star Dot chokes were sold as a combo package she believed, but I don't think so.  I think what happened and her memory was vague, was that Highlander also had a rear and front sight combo package sold separately from the Star Dot choke.  And they were listed as Star Dot sight.  Let me show you.  And Highlander did all the packaging on these chokes. 

They looked like this.

And I think they came in a package just like the original Star Dot chokes but the package siad Star Dot Sight.  Sort of like this one but with the dual sight above.

The top package is the exact same package that I have. Only difference is the knurling. But the change in the knurling has to mean something as to who manufactured these. I mean why would colonial change the knurling. Now I actually might try and get both and do a side by side pattern comparison.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Mike,

I would say Colonial made them both ways.  They probably switched later on in production.  I would believe that more than I would believe somone else made that straight groove choke.  The reason I say that is I have had both and neither had any writing on the tube. 

But hey you may be on to something.  I noticed that Pittman choke above was straight grooved.  But it had writing on the tube.  But it's very possible that some could have been made without writing and in the old original packaging.  I can tell you how to get your answer.  Send a photo to the owner of Colonial Arms of the one you have straight grooved.  Then you will know the rest of the story. 

mikejd

Brad,

I just went and dug out my stardot for my invector and although the choke is exact same same knurling no markings the package says PTC technologies, Huntsville Alabama as well. Now if you were to buy this choke with no package you would never tell the 2 apart. I tried to get a pic of all the packages together but the phone was dead Ill do it tomorrow. The Rem and Moss are the same but the invector is the PTC. Pretty strange actually.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mikejd on May 24, 2013, 11:09:46 PM
Brad,

I just went and dug out my stardot for my invector and although the choke is exact same same knurling no markings the package says PTC technologies, Huntsville Alabama as well. Now if you were to buy this choke with no package you would never tell the 2 apart. I tried to get a pic of all the packages together but the phone was dead Ill do it tomorrow. The Rem and Moss are the same but the invector is the PTC. Pretty strange actually.

Now are you talking about knurling or straight grooves? 

ILIKEHEVI-13

I love doing this detective work.   :funnyturkey:

DirtNap647

can I ask what would make this  original star dot shoot any different than the pitman stardot has to be more than the knurling to change the pattern?

mikejd

Quote from: Dirt nap on May 25, 2013, 06:23:30 AM
can I ask what would make this  original star dot shoot any different than the pitman stardot has to be more than the knurling to change the pattern?

Good question. I dont know if they even shoot differently. I would like to see a side by side shooting comparison. I am actually going to hunt down the knurled one for my 1300 so I can do it.

DirtNap647

I have both one with knurled end and one with straight lines that says moss 835 never shot the one with no writing maybe there is a difference because I wasn't that impressed with the pitman one when I get time I will have to compare them or has anyone done this comparison?

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: mikejd on May 25, 2013, 12:28:25 PM

Good question. I dont know if they even shoot differently. I would like to see a side by side shooting comparison. I am actually going to hunt down the knurled one for my 1300 so I can do it.

Now this is going off of a long time ago from info I obtained on the web, and I think I have it correct.  I remember a guy or a few guys make the statement that they have both the Star Dot and the Pittman Star Dot.  The Pittman Star Dot had a like .685 exit diameter, and the Star Dot had a .676.  They said both shoot good, but nobody ever compared them back then with Hevi-13 #7 loads because they were'nt made then. 

I know the owner told me on the phone when I talked to her that if memory served her right that the counterfit star Dot had pittman on the tubes or writing I would say.  So that's why I'm saying that any Star Dot choke that does have writing on the tube is a counterfit. 

mikejd

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 25, 2013, 02:26:22 PM
Quote from: mikejd on May 25, 2013, 12:28:25 PM

Now this is going off of a long time ago from info I obtained on the web, and I think I have it correct.  I remeber a guy aor a few guys make the statement that they have both the Star Dot and th Pittman Star Dot.  The Pittman Star Dot had a like .685 exit diameter, and the Star Dot had a .676.  The ysaid both shoot good, but nobody ever compared them back then with Hevi-13#7 loads because they were'nt made then. 

I know the owner told me on the phone when I talked to here that if memory served her right that the counterfit star Dot had pittman on the tubes or writing I would say.  So that's why I'm saying that any Star Dot choke that does have writing on the tube is a counterfit.

someone that has a so called " counterfeit " should measure the restriction and see what it is.

DirtNap647

I don't have a tool
to measure