OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The Lady got her gobbler!

Started by WyoHunter, May 18, 2013, 06:15:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

Her's an account of my wife Cindy's first turkey hunt. We had been out last Saturday but the birds wouldn't cooperate. This Saturday they did!
I asked Cindy if she wanted to go turkey hunting this Saturday and she smiled and said yes let's go. We left Casper at 4:00AM for our two hour drive east. After arriving at the hunting area we headed down to the canyon with a beautiful stream running thru it. We heard a couple of gobbles walking down to it so we set up and I called with my glass pot call to no avail. Then I hit my box call with no results. As we continued on a gobble rang out from farther downstream so I started glassing the other side of the canyon and saw them about a half mile away. I looked at Cindy and said let's go down the side of the creek and see if they'll answer my calls. We started out and got down to where I thought I might see them. I didn't see any turkeys so I told her to wait by a pine tree and if I got a response I'd wave. If no birds responded we'd head up the canyon/creek  to raise a gobble. I was about 100 yards from her when I brought out my long box and gave a series of "come here" yelps. I was greeted with an immediate double gobble! I waved at Cindy to come quickly (she doesn't move as quickly as she once did due to her MS). We set up on the edge of the steep bank as I called again and was responded to by raucous gobbling. I realized we weren't set up as good as we could be so we moved over about five yards to another tree for better visibility down the bank. Just then two young gobblers stuck their heads up over a bush. Then a thunderous gobble erupted to our right so I had Cindy move her gun to where I thought he would come out. He gave another gobble and came around the ponderosa pine strutting in all his glory! I whispered shoot him and she let Baby Beretta (20 ga.) roar and he flopped down at about 12 yards. I hugged and congratulated her on her first bird and took some pictures. He weighed about 21 pounds and his beard is 8 1/2" long but his legs were clean - no spurs! We had a great hunt we'll never forget. Enjoy the pics!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

trkycaller

TRKYHTR

Thats awesome. Congrats to her.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

MAKEemQUIVER

Go Big Blue!!!!!!

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

tomstopper

DirtNap647

beagler

Never Misses

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

WiLL B

grimreaper

RutnNStrutn

Sorry to hear about the MS. I have some friends stricken with that. But I love the fact that she isn't letting it slow her down, and is still out in the woods. Congrats to you and your wife on her bird!!! :icon_thumright:

Super X3

Way to go! Something to be proud of!

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you on a awesome bird... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

El Pavo Grande