News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you call...

Started by barry, May 18, 2013, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

...right after a crow has sounded off?
Personally I don't just because I can't ever remember hearing a hen yelp after I heard a crow. I just figured it was not in the natural scheme of things for a hen to draw a crows attention.
What say yee?

mikejd

The crows are going so often I never even thought about it. Come to think of it I have never even heard a gobble after a crow screems.

jblackburn

I've heard hens start cutting right after crows sound off, but I don't let it dictate my calling.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gooserbat

I call when it feels right and usually not immediately after some sort of background noise, car horns, jake brakes, crows, owls, crop dusters, and such.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

troutfisher13111

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 18, 2013, 04:16:47 PM
I call when it feels right and usually not immediately after some sort of background noise, car horns, jake brakes, crows, owls, crop dusters, and such.

Ditto

WV TURKEY THUG

It really just depends if I just yelped few times right before the.crows.started to crow I wouldn't but if I am about ready to call and crows start making noises I will wait for them to stop. To see if I can hear a shock gobble and then call.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 18, 2013, 04:16:47 PM

That crop duster did not seem to bother that gobbler in Kansas. Not nearly as much as those Winchester 6's!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

DirtNap647

no i dont call right after a crow

mudhen

Never thought about it, but as to hearing a gobble following a crow scolding, I stopped counting at several thousand times over the past 35 years...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Old Gobbler

Crow stories ---

I wont shoot Crows  , call it superstition --If you ever watch crows you will notice they wont pass up a chance to give a wild turkey  hard time -they fly over and call at them , often times pitching on a limb nearby and giving a extended smack talk

This year on DC ranch I was with Rocky here trying to getting him his grand slam , there was a gobbler hung  up behind us he would occasionally gobble , but what would really get him pissed off was this one particular crow that would pitch in a branch 15 foot over his head and do this raw-raw-raw-raw-raw-raw calling , it was like the crow was doing his best gobble imitation , those crows are clever and he had a pretty good gobbler impersonation going on , I think we heard him do it about 10 times , he would fly away then come back 10 minutes latter - the crow would do his raw-raw thing and the gobbler would sound right off giving us a fix on his location in the cypress head behind us - never seen a crow do a gobble impersonation before , Ill try and get it on film if the same crow is in the area next season

Like a parrot can imitate a human voice , I guess Crows can mimic other sounds -I watched a show on TV about the Tower of London I know than one of the Ravens kept there can imitate one of the Yeoman -Guards words - Ravens are closely related to Crows

But any ways quite often when the gobbling settles down , if I hear a crow sounding off in the woods , I interpret that to be the location of a turkey -if a crow flys near me , I stay quiet and still , crows will pick you out and pitch over me and give my location away likewise 

eyes in the sky ....   
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

grimreaper

We have so many crows that I don't ever worry about it.

RutnNStrutn

I call when I call. If a crow goes off, and a gobbler hammers back, then I crow call (but NOT hen call) as I work my way in towards him.

El Pavo Grande

Not to get off topic, but as Old Gobbler said, I have seen crows imitating certain sounds including a hen yelping.  And they are good at giving up a silent turkeys location at times, enough to the point to really pay attention when they start a ruckus.

With so many crows, I never worry about calling right after one if it's in the natural course of a hunt.  But, I can guarantee I am always attentive when a crow or woodpecker calls.

Gawhitaker

If i am moving i'll stop and listen hard when the crows get really fired up, if i'm still or working one i still listen right after the crow calls.

Turkey Trot

Quote from: Old Gobbler on May 19, 2013, 01:48:23 PM
never seen a crow do a gobble impersonation before , Ill try and get it on film if the same crow is in the area next season

Like a parrot can imitate a human voice , I guess Crows can mimic other sounds -I watched a show on TV about the Tower of London I know than one of the Ravens kept there can imitate one of the Yeoman -Guards words - Ravens are closely related to Crows

But any ways quite often when the gobbling settles down , if I hear a crow sounding off in the woods , I interpret that to be the location of a turkey -if a crow flys near me , I stay quiet and still , crows will pick you out and pitch over me and give my location away likewise 

eyes in the sky ....

I've never heard/seen a crow do that either.  But I've been surprised at how well mockingbirds can pick up a kee kee call and repeat it.

The lyre bird is the most impressive imitator in nature.  Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSB71jNq-yQ
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter