OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

GOt my first bird this year.

Started by rayvond33, May 17, 2013, 03:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayvond33

First bird for 40 yr old novice turkey hunter!!
I got to the farm at 6:30 am (bout 30 minlater than i planned to be) I hurried to the edge of  small green field that leads to a creek bottom it was already breaking daylight and I heard a gobble, MY friend and" turkey mentor" had said if  I hear a gobble in the creek bottom to move closer to the bird. Intstead I panicked and sat up a hen and jake decoy in the field and began running around in circles trying to find the perfect tree. Eventually leaning up against a way to small pine at the edge of the woods. The whole time I'm hearing gobbles from at least 3 different birds. Not really knowing what to do i just start yelping on a mouth call ( because at this time that's bout all i can do). Sometimes they answer me sometimes not ,sometimes i cant tell??. The timber behind me has been thine a few years ago and it is the first day of the season so as i look over my right shoulder i can see 100 yrds or so sown into the woods (I'm facing the decoys and the birds are behind me). HE suddenly appears in full strut, not really having a " bag of tricks" yelp at him he gobbles runs up the logging road a few yds and struts again. I keep doing this until he is around 40yds away. Hes steady  coming on my right side ( I'm left handed) gobbling and strutting the whole way. When he gets 20 or so yds from the edge of the field he locks in on the decoys and runs to them, this is when i raise my gun.!! He runs up behind the jake and struts making a noise i never heard before ( spit n drummin) he then proceeds to ruin my friends jake decoy ( thanks Jay) when he stops to admire his handy work I make a noise that i hoped was a cluck. When he raised his head to look i rolled him at 20 yds. First longbeard i have ever saw while turkey hunting. oh yeah at 6:47 i was calling Jay to let him know hunt was over, Probably only a 10 to 15 min hunt maximum!!

21lbs
11 3/4 inch beard
1 3/8 inch spurs

Working Class Outdoors
"Working for a Living and Living for the Outdoors"

njdevilsb

Congrats on your first.  That's a great bird.

DirtNap647

congrats on a great first turkey

tomstopper

coyote1

Congrats on your first bird. I could kill turkeys like that one for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TRKYHTR

Thats awesome. Loved your description of your hunt because as a novice turkey hunter that is exactly how it happens. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

captin_hook

Congrats. You'll never forget the first one!

beagler

Never Misses

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

wmd

Congratulations!  I have been killing turkeys for 31 years and I still find myself running around in a half-panic sometimes trying to find the right tree when a bird hammers unexpectedly close by. All part of the rush that makes turkey hunting such a fun sport. Hope you get many more.

rayvond33

thanks!!! not only did I get my first tom this year i was also lucky enough to tag out. I ll post pics and story of second gobbler later!!!!!
Working Class Outdoors
"Working for a Living and Living for the Outdoors"

Punisher

That is a fine turkey to start out with.  Congrats. :icon_thumright:

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!