OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobbling hen

Started by troutfisher13111, May 17, 2013, 09:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

I had a hen come in today gobbling. She also was in full strut half the time. Before anyone says anything, I am sure it was a hen. I have read about it before, but this was my first time seeing it. Pretty cool!

Spring Creek Calls

You've witnessed something most of us will never see. Another good reason to video tape our hunts.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Gobble!

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on May 17, 2013, 09:47:08 AM
You've witnessed something most of us will never see. Another good reason to video tape our hunts.

Agreed. This is why I plan on purchasing a GoPro for next season.

Gooserbat

Never saw one gobble but I have saw two strut.  One was a half-hearted effort to strut but the other was blown up as big as any tom you've ever saw and she strutted in circles with a tom for several minutes before I shot the tom and ended their dance.  Best part was I got to witness it from 30-40 yards. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

busta biggun

That is really cool!. I saw a hen that strutted for over an hour in front of me. Never saw on gobble in the wild but it does happen in very rare situations. Here is a clip from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BSNwaiTe0

TauntoHawk

I've seen hens strut twice and gobble once, its pretty neat to see and hear. A lot of people will look at you like you have two heads when you tell them though
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: busta biggun on May 17, 2013, 10:49:46 AM
That is really cool!. I saw a hen that strutted for over an hour in front of me. Never saw on gobble in the wild but it does happen in very rare situations. Here is a clip from youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0BSNwaiTe0

That's some great video!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

DirtNap647

cool never even heard of it before

870FaceLift

Never heard one gobble.  That is wild!  I have seen them strut before in and out of decoy setups.
Pass it on...

TrackeySauresRex

I've seen it once in NY a few years ago. She came in,in half strut. Really cool thing to see. Congrats on a great hunt. The gobble wasn't quite the same. I was ready to shoot. I was thinking Jake the whole time. Until she showed herself.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Borat

Dang tranny turkeys these days! :z-flirtysmile3:

troutfisher13111

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on May 17, 2013, 02:22:07 PMThe gobble wasn't quite the same.

Same with this one. It was long, but very muffled.

tomstopper

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on May 17, 2013, 12:38:53 PM
Quote from: busta biggun on May 17, 2013, 10:49:46 AM

That's some great video!
:agreed: Thanks for sharing..

jblackburn

That's pretty cool!  I've never seen a wild one do that, but I used to have a tame hen that would gobble and strut
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ShotGunSniper

Im glad you all mentioned that even in the animal world, there are trans..lol I would had shot a hen that gobbled and strut. And might had a time tryin to explain to the game warden's why I had shot a hen during Spring season. Sir it gobbled and I shot...  :TooFunny:
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag