turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finished for the year!

Started by woodchip, May 16, 2013, 10:46:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodchip

I had a great turkey season this year.  My buddy and I harvested a double on the second day of our Kentucky season.  My bird had a 10 inch beard and 15/16 inch spurs.  His had a 10inch beard and 1 inch spurs.  On the third day of the KY season we struck a bird around 12:30pm.  We quickly had him within gun range and I was able to harvested him (10inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs) and another bird gobbled at my shot.  At this point I was tagged out so I unloaded my gun grabbed the bird.  We setup on the second bird but the setup was not ideal.  We heard him drumming before we could see him.  He popped out at 15yds and immediately spooked.  My buddy shot at him as he quickly walked away but somehow placed his shot in a dirt berm that was practically the same height as a turkey so he lived to see another day.  I was unable to hunt the next day but my buddy harvested a nice bird and was also tagged out in Ky. 

On May 4th we headed West to Wyoming. We traveled 17 hours to Wall, South Dakota the first day placing us about 2.5 hours from our destination.  We spent the 5th sight seeing:  Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils Tower.  We started hunting the morning of the 6th but didn't have much luck until about 7:00pm when a bird gobbled about 1000yds away(no joke!).  We were able to get a glimpse of them (turns out there was two) from a ridge and realized they were off the property.  We setup on them anyways and they never hesitated.  They came all the way to the barbwire fence that was the property line 75 yards away and paced back and forth.  Finally they crossed it and we shot a double on Wyoming Merriams at 25 yds.  We pulled the trigger at 7:30 pm.  The latest I have ever killed a bird.  I think it helped us being so late.  They were running out of daylight and desperately wanted some hens to roost with.  They were pretty much twins also.  Both had 3/4 inch spurs and 8 inch beards.  One weighed 18lbs 5oz and the other weighed 18lbs 3oz.

It was a great way to end the season.  The first pics are from our Ky double and my single.

woodchip

The first picture is of some Merriams in the Badlands National Park(sure didn't look like turkey habitat) and the second is just some of the terrain we were hunting in Wyoming.

woodchip

The first picture is of me and my hunting buddy hunting in Wyoming with Devils Tower in the background and the second is of our double on Wyoming Merriams

DirtNap647

boomer

trkycaller

Publicland

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

woodchip

It was indeed a good season!

Onpoint

Gold Spur

Congrats, beautiful birds! :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

jblackburn

Great pictures!  I really liked those birds in the badlands!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

surehuntsalot

congrats on a great season
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

RutnNStrutn

Looks like you had a heck of a season!! Congrats!! :icon_thumright: