turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How to put a feather in a pot question

Started by jjnfla, May 16, 2013, 10:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjnfla

Wanting to add a tail feather to a glass over glass call how would you go about this and would it mess with the sound any help be great jj

TRKYHTR

You will probably have to cutt the feather alot to fit inside. The feather shouldn't touch any of the side of the pot. Most tailfeathers are to large to fit on a sound board.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

TarheelTurk

Quote from: TRKYHTR on May 16, 2013, 10:37:59 PM
You will probably have to cutt the feather alot to fit inside. The feather shouldn't touch any of the side of the pot. Most tailfeathers are to large to fit on a sound board.

TRKYHTR

X2  .... I'm sure like most on here I use the smaller feathers near the tail , but to attach em I use a thin line of goop and a dot or two near the outside edge . Hope it turns out well and post a pic when your done
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

lightsoutcalls

I agree with Joe.  I generally use one of the colorul feathers between the fan and the body inside a call. 
Place your feather of choice on a soundboard that hasn't been glued into the call to get an idea of the size you need.  I like to get as close as I can to the top and bottom of the soundboard, but you may have to manipulate the pointed top edges of the feather a bit to get them to lay right.
Put a tiny dab of goop glue on the back of the feather spine about 1/4" from the tip and lay it on your soundboard.  I like to place a small chunk of wood (usually a cutoff from a striker blank about 2" long) above where the glue is on the feather.  Generally 30 minutes will allow the glue to dry enough to keep the feather positioned. 
Be aware that some CA glues (super glue) will cause a frosted or hazing effect on the underside of your surface glass if you use it to glue the feather in.  I learned the hard way.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!