OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

R.I.P. Tommy Tailfeather

Started by Tommy Strutsalot, May 16, 2013, 01:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Strutsalot

I have heard people talk about hunting specific birds and the advantages and disadvantages of doing that. My good friend and hunting partner Patrick and I, both seem to have a little bit of a problem with that. Patrick in particular, feels such a bond with the animals that he chooses to give them names so as to differentiate between them during hunting discussion.

We have put in countless hours of scouting and effort into trying to figure these birds out, including 4 am wake-ups on Saturdays and Sundays throughout March and April.

Since May 1st we have pursued these two particular birds relentlessly. They were chest deep in hens, and very difficult to dictate their behavior with calling. Although, they did not feel the hunting pressure, they seemed to have a 6th sense and tended to avoid our setups just out of range, usually between 60-75 yards.

Although these birds were difficult to get in front of, they had certain habits that we knew we could count on and could exploit.

At around 7:00 this morning, after about 10 different setups on "Tommy Tailfeather" in the last three weeks, he finally corralled all of his hens in the wrong direction, and we were formally introduced. RIP Tommy Tailfeather, you will be missed but never forgotten.

10" beard, 1" spurs, and I failed to weigh him as I had to get to work.

Well, Thursdays seem to be not working out so well for our bird friends, because it was LAST thursday when Patrick and I set up together, and after having a couple hens in the decoy for a litte bit, "Tommy Strutsalot" showed up to pay a visit, and got the hammer courtesy of Uncle Patrick. Sorry Thomas, Rest easy brother.

10" beard, 1" spurs, 19 lbs.

As it stands, Larry Longbeard lives on, and he will be quite the specimen by next year when Patrick gets ahold of him!

And lastly, I just thought I'd share that a close friend of mine, who I do a ridiculous amount of waterfowl hunting with, was able to take his first spring bird ever (who will remain nameless)this year on the opener during our annual trip to Sullivan County. He played Lacrosse in Middle School, High School, and College, and although he's been hunting since he was a kid, the amount of time that he has been able to put into spring turkey hunting during that time is probably equivalent to what many of us can put in during a season.

Congrats to Colin on the first of many to come. This bird was well earned, and I'm happy for you.

870FaceLift

:icon_thumright:

Nice season for you and your buds

I, too, have a particular bird I'm after.  He is missing his center tailfeather and always has hens going in the opposite direction.  The property lines make it really tricky, but I've got three more days to make it happen.

Pass it on...

Tommy Strutsalot

Thanks and Good Luck!  I hope to hear you get him. 

DirtNap647

redarrow

"Tommy Tailfeather" I love the moniker. Got one named "Lightbulb" that still fills my dreams. He's still out there. Congrats.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

beagler

Never Misses

captin_hook

Tail Feathers

Cousin TOMMY!!! :o :o :TooFunny:

Congrats on the birds! :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tomstopper

MAKEemQUIVER

Go Big Blue!!!!!!

boomer

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jblackburn

Tommy had it coming.  What a jerk!

Congrats!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

mikejd

Congrats, I love having specific birds always keeps you wondering.