OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sandhills hooker

Started by spaightlabs, May 16, 2013, 11:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spaightlabs

Found this guy in the hills yesterday morning.  He was with 1 other tom, 3 jakes and a half dozen hens.  He busted us standing in the open about 15 minutes after first light when we were trying to relocate since we hadn't heard anything on the roost.  He jogged off with his gang in tow, but it looked like the hill the went over would hook around in our direction, so we went back to our original position.

Put the hen and half strut jake out, and 15 minutes later they walked into the open about 500 yards out.  Gave a few yelps and he yelped back and went into strut.  He'd strut 20 yards and stop.  I'd yelp, he'd fan out, yelp back and strut another 20 yards.  He tried to gobble a couple times but couldn't pull it off.  Kept this up until he was whooping the jakes butt at 14 yards.

Saw an absolutely spectacular all white tom about 20 minutes later on an adjacent property. Big body, very tall and a 10 inch black paint brush, otherwise not a speck of black/brown on him.  May make another run up to see if we can get him to play.

DirtNap647

redarrow

Beautiful bird.  :icon_thumright: Good luck with whitey.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

beagler

Never Misses

renegade19

Looks like he had some monster spurs! Congrats!

tomstopper

Nice bird. Congrats....

El Pavo Grande

Congrats on a great hunt!!!  Probably so old, the joker couldn't gobble anymore.

coyote1

boomer

trkycaller

Gooserbat

That's a fine Ol' Bird.  Congrats1
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Onpoint

Congrats. Gotta love them old birds

Gold Spur

Congrats, awesome bird.. :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!