turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What if lead shot still in meat?

Started by ShotGunSniper, May 16, 2013, 04:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShotGunSniper

Ok, Im wonder if it's safe to eat if you happen to find lead shot in your meat? I heard people finding shot in their meat while eating it. Well I have not yet because mine is still frozen but I was just worried if there was any left in the meat. We picked afew out when clean it but Im sure there is still some in there.
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

stone road turkey calls

call the CDC in Atlanta, they will answer your question
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

goblr77

Consider the fact that millions of doves and quail are eaten every year with lead shot still in the meat of a lot of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ChiefBubba

I was shot with 7 1/2's on a Dove field close to 30 years ago. I have about a dozen pellets still in me. Dr told me not to worry about them. I was told the body will isolate any foreign object in the body or will reject through the skin which is what happened with the ones that were close to the skin. I suppose same thing with birds. Chief

Skeeterbait

Lead in solid form is not really that big of a concern.  The amount of lead your body could digest off of a swallowed pellet before it passes thru is insignificant.  The trace left in the meat is insignificant also.

redarrow

The only real hazard is a broken tooth. Try to remove it but before cooking and don't worry about it.

Clif Owen

Just pick them out and don't worry about it. Like said earlier..think about all the birds shot every year with lead shot. And it used to be a bunch more before steel shot became the law for waterfowl. You may even find a stray one every now and then when you bite down on one. Just spit it out and keep munching.

horsedoctor

Swallowing the occasional lead shot won't cause toxicity to anything but birds. It will pass through people with very little, if any of it absorbed. As stated, imbedded pellets get walled off and the lead is not absorbed. Birds get in trouble when they eat lead shot either from bottom feeding wetlands or when scavengers ingest lead when eating carrion containing lead pellets or bullet fragments. In birds the lead can accumulate in the gizzard where food is ground up and the pellets are ground against each other causing fine lead flakes or dust which can be absorbed in sufficient quantity to cause toxicity. So, eat & enjoy, the only danger is too your teeth.... and nontoxic shot is even more dangerous to them. This, I and my dentist, are certain of...  ::) ::) ::)

WV TURKEY THUG

U will be fine might get a few chipped teeth if not careful. Just spit the bbs out if u find one. Make sure to get most of them out before cooking it. I no a person who got shot one while grouse hunting and he still has bbs in him and he is fine. That's been 40 yes ago. But if u shoot a deer and somehow u don't find the bullet and u grind the meat up with the bullet I would throw all of the ground meat out. But that is very unlikely to happen

va wingbone

Quote from: redarrow on May 16, 2013, 08:56:58 AM
The only real hazard is a broken tooth. Try to remove it but before cooking and don't worry about it.
x2 biting down on a pellet is NO fun, you can buy tiny metal detectors designed for retrieving shot from birds, I don't think they cost all that much either

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

Rockhound

I've closed enough lead split shot sinkers on my fishing line to fill the bed of a truck, a lead pellet or two won't hurt ya

barry

Quote from: Rockhound on May 16, 2013, 02:45:53 PM
I've closed enough lead split shot sinkers on my fishing line to fill the bed of a truck, a lead pellet or two won't hurt ya

Yep, that and biting down on a shot in a rabbit or dove.

ShotGunSniper

Thanks a bunch everyone. That got some worries off my chest. So now can you all give some good advice about how to deal with a mean wife?...lol...jk. Seriously though, I have not cooked the meat yet and I will be going through it to try to find any remaining pellets before I cook it. It was mainly in the breast meat. But I was worried about the remaining pellets, if any, in the meat could contaminate the meat while it remained in it. But sounds like all my questions was answered. Thanks again..
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag

WildSpur

If it does get into your system the half life of lead is 3 weeks I think.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

ShotGunSniper

Quote from: WildSpur on May 16, 2013, 04:23:23 PM
If it does get into your system the half life of lead is 3 weeks I think.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

This is what Im tryin to avoid. I will just really try to see if there is anymore in the breast before I cook it. Thanks...
Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag