OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stabilized calls

Started by Nolehoe, May 15, 2013, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nolehoe

I recently geared up for stabilizing wood.  Has anybody tried stabilized wood for strikers our pots? What did you think of them?

Sent from my SCH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Clif Owen

At nthe risk of this being a really dumb question...What is stabilized? What is the process and what does it do to the wood?
Thanks,
Clif

lightsoutcalls

Stabilizing is a process where a plastic resin material is sucked through the pores of wood under pressure.  Although the plastic resin will fill the pores of the wood, it will not fill larger voids or inclusions in the wood.  This makes the wood harder or more solid by giving it more of the characteristics of the solidified plastic resin.

I have turned numerous wood pots after stabilizing.  As for strikers... I don't think I would trust it for one piece strikers, but would have no problem turning the top of a 2 piece striker.  It would really depend on the grain orientation I guess. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

outdoors

IS THERE A KIT ? ?  OR DO U SEND IT OFF  ? ?
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

lightsoutcalls

I ship my wood to River Ridge Products in Wisconsin.  You can check out their website for rates, etc.

Nolehoe

That's are kits available.I pieced mine together.had planned to use an old refrigerator compressor I had and build my own chamber.then decided to save some time and effort and just buy the chamber, then the old compressor I had didn't work do I bought a vacuum compressor at harbour freight.all said and fine I probably could have bought a kit for the same $

lightsoutcalls

Be sure to let us know how it works out.  Shipping wood back and forth plus the expense of the process keeps me from getting much wood stabilized. 

Nolehoe

Will do. Starting out with some walnut that had cracks in it from standing too long before being cut. It isn't ideal for stabilizing but I'm just trying to see if I can save it. Gonna hit the lake beds this summer for some drift wood hunting.also thinking about ordering some buckeye burl